Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anitarn

Where to start!

AnitaRn
10 years ago

We purchased this house in August and have spent the winter working on the inside. Spring fever is kicking in and we are ready to start on the curb appeal. Nothing in the picture has to stay. We want to take down the tree right at the house and the overgrown bushes flanking the driveway. I think that I want to do cottage style, but I am not sure where to start. Any ideas, suggestions, do's or don'ts would be appreciated. We live Missouri and the grass is still brown, hurry up spring!

Comments (5)

• AnitaRn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another angle, with the monster of green at the driveway!

• AnitaRn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Walkway to front door. Thank you.

• designoline6
    10 years ago

So long time I design it !

• AnitaRn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, this is the front of the house. I am not sure about adding a deck and all of the changes you included. I appreciate your time and ideas. Anybody else? What is the best way to remove all of the bushes? Can they be transplanted somewhere else if removed properly? Thanks.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

In the first picture, is one tree that is close to the house, hidden from view by another tree? A tree close to the house seems to show up in a later picture.

You say your overall goal is curb appeal, and that you might do "cottage style." This is certainly not the easy way to increase curb appeal, though is does satisfy one's love of plants. Often, gardens can be messy and cottage style is not necessarily known to use plant shapes and sizes that enhance architecture. It is more about the flowers and foliage and sometimes seems to compete with, be at odds with, or just ignore architecture. It will seem nice if the garden itself is nice, which is up to the creator and caretaker. Since cottage gardening involves so many different types of plants, it usually requires that the person creating it have, or develop a knack for it. Generally, it is considered high maintenance, whereas conventional landscaping tends to be low maintenance. One thing that you could get help with here is layout of the bed lines. Sometimes, cottage gardening consumes the entire yard so there aren't bed lines. You might mention your intentions in this regard.

You could certainly stand to limb up (remove lower limbs of) the large trees in front so that the view to the house from the street is not obscured, and to prevent the development of a canopy based on limbs that are obstructive to the view.

Usually, if existing shrubs are too large or close to an obstruction, it is not worth the bother of trying to transplant them. They are often damaged in the operation and must be cut back so severely that it's easier and cheaper to start with new, small plants. The ones next to the sidewalk might be moved. The ones next to the house and mailbox, probably not.