Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bbeckmann

Do I cut this all the way down?

bbeckmann
12 years ago

Hi,

I'm in a new house, and I have a couple of questions about some plants that I'm dealing with. The first (see http://xfer.bigforge.com/plant1.jpg) is this bush that I have running up my driveway. I tried removing the dead parts, but it still looks rough. Am I supposed to cut it all the way down?

The 2nd plant (see http://xfer.bigforge.com/plant2.jpg) is another bush that I have in a few places. Is it dead or does it need to be cut down?

I'm in Austin, TX, btw. I've been trying to get someone to come out and give me some professional advice. If you have any references, I'd love to hear those too.

Comments (9)

• bbeckmann
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's a clickable link for the first photo

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:17917}}

• designoline6
    12 years ago

Remove all.Plant some tough shade tolerant plants.you should have a curb appeal designing.

• bahia
    12 years ago

Can't tell if that first photo is some sort of grass or possibly Pampas Grass, Cortaderia sellowiana. Either can be cut back rather hard and with good conditions they should regrow nicely. If you repost the other photos so they are easier to open, it would be easier to advise you about the others. Try contacting your local nurseries regarding consultations, or take a sample of the foliage and your photos to the nursery for proper identification and cultural advice. You've got a nice looking grove of oak trees there, and nice lush grass, looks like the Texas drought is no more...

• duluthinbloomz4
    12 years ago

I need a clickable link to plant #2, but Plant #1 looks like the clumping Liriope Muscari to me with new growth sprouting in the crown. If you just want to tidy it up, you can cut away any dead foliage and everything else
    to just above the new crown growth. It'll look like a sorry pincushion for a while until the new growth takes over. March is a good time to do this.

People love this plant or they don't and for certain spots it does fill the bill. But I just think it makes an unkempt looking driveway edging as your picture attests - and there's so much better material out there. Sorry, though, I'm not familiar with Texas plants.

• bahia
    12 years ago

Looking at photo number one again, I'd agree it's unlikely to be a Cortaderia, the stiff dead stalks also make it unlikely to be a Liriope. My best guess is that it is a Muhlenbergia or some similar sort of grass. Late winter or early spring is a good time to cut back most all perennial evergreen grasses such as this if it is looking shabby. If this is a Muhlenbergia, they look better in my opinion if they are planted in groups rather than lined up as points along a driveway.

You could also supplement these with some different height varieties of Muhlenbergia such as the taller more feathery M. dumosa and/or M. capillaries with wonderful pink seed heads in the fall.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    12 years ago

Looks like pampass grass (Cortaderia) to me. But it doesn't matter what grass or if it's Liriope. Cut it back hard before new growth begins leaving a "stiff brush" (to get rid of the old, ugly.) Then, when it grows it will look fresh.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    12 years ago

To post a photo directly here. Obtain the picture's html code from the site where the photo is hosted. It's usually found under a link labelled "share", but just look around. Sometimes there are several codes for various sizes. Copy that code and paste it into your message. If it's correct code, it will show up when you preview message.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

I'm not sure what plant #2 is, but you should cut off all the dead parts. It is re growing from the base. This is the best time of the year to do all the cutting back.

Plant #1 looks like pampas grass to me. You can cut all the green back too, it will re grow quickly once it gets a bit warmer.

If you could get better photos, of plant #2 and post in the Texas Forum you will get a good ID on it.

Hanging out in the Texas Forum will give you a wealth of knowledge about how to care for your yard/plants in our climate.
    If you are interested in more or different plants you'll learn what works best for our area and what to not waste your time, energy and money on.

Here is a link that might be useful: Texas Forum

• whitecap2
    12 years ago

Sure looks like Pampas Grass. If so, it will eventually get about 8 ft. tall, and as wide. I would have thought that it required more light than this.