Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Framing an entrance

Posted by KraB none (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 25, 11 at 20:50

What would draw the person to the front door of this house? I was thinking a tall thin juniper framing the entrance on both sides. Also I want to plant a deep foundation all the way to the sidewalk.

Also if there are any good design theory books or websites that you would recommend I'm all ears.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Framing an entrance

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 25, 11 at 21:13

Paint the door the same shade of pink as the hanging potted plant. That would make the door visible.

o

The white door is lost in the white-trimmed white house. It's worse than that: white roof, white foundation, white cement walks, white curtains/shades in the second-story windows.

In contrast, the pink-flowered hanging plant -- the only thing in view that isn't either white or green (well, dark windows) draws the eye. Draws the eye away from the door!

I don't think a tall juniper on either side of the front steps would help much. This is more of a house decoration issue than a landscaping issue.

I'm not sure what you mean by "plant a deep foundation all the way to the sidewalk." Do you mean you want to extend the foundation bed to the sidewalk? Are you going to remove all the grass in the front yard? If not, how much of the grass are you going to remove?

o

• Posted by KraB none (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 25, 11 at 21:48

Yes extend the bed all the way to the sidewalk. I don't know if that would be overkill but I like lots of plants.

Also, would it be wise to put a 10' or so tree on the left corner of the house? To break up the lines of the house.

Also the door is now a dark teal. And that hanging basket isn't there anymore.

o

• Posted by laag z6CapeCod (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 26, 11 at 8:00

I would not extend the planting all of the way to the sidewalk because the front yard is so close to the road. Believe it or not, it will make the house appear closer to the road.

I would put a columnar shrub on the outside of the step, but not match it on the inside. Affecting the house is more important than affecting the steps. Look at the big picture first and work your way down to the lesser elements.

o

I think the answer lies in the steps and walkway that look totally colourless in the photo. If you put in an edging of a material in an earth colour and painted the hand rail and door a similar hue this would be great visual cue. Say you chose a deep reddy brown brick and matching paint for door and railings and you planted a decorative tree with a similar shade of foliage on the other side of the house to give balance you might find the rest falls into place.

o

Didn't see you changed the door to teal until after I changed door to burgandy:

Here it is with teal door:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here