Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
piscesgirl

Mason vs. Hardscaping Landscaper ?

piscesgirl
13 years ago

We have a brick front porch and steps that are falling a part. The winter freeze and thaw killed is this year! We also have an old concrete front walkway which is cracked and we would like to replace.

We would like to keep the front porch brick and maybe top it with a layer of flagstone and then do a flagstone walkway. Should we be contacting masons or landscapers who do hardscaping for this type of work? Or should we be contacting both - one to do the porch and one to do the walkway.

Every landscaping website I go on that does hardscaping, I don't see any sort of brick masonry work. Maybe a brick walkway but not a brick wall, steps, or anything that requires mortar. My concern is our house is brick and I want to make sure the contractor who does the brick work can match the mortar color and knows how to do brick work. We had someone do some brick pointing a few years back on the porch and did a horrible job.

My other concern is will most mason's know how to properly install a dry laid flagstone walkway?

Who would you typically contact for this type of work?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: Front porch and steps

Comment (1)