Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need opinions on groundcover between recycled cement pavestones

Posted by Newbiesogreen Sunset 24 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 21:26

I recently dug up cement from the backyard that was dumped with dirt upside down (aggregate side up) and turned over to the smooth surface to pave the dirt and "weed garden". I'm having difficulty deciding on what to plant between the cracks...grass or some sort of ground cover like wooly oregano. The area gets full sun and pretty much remains mostly dry in the summer months as we don't get very much rain during summer in the San Diego area. So, Looking for drought tolerant greenery that can take some foot traffic from the pups, and low growing. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need opinions on groundcover between recycled cement paveston

Creeping thyme or mint are offered as options here and not as 'sticky' should one be barefoot or pawed.

o

I wouldn't do mint unless you want to find it coming up where you don't want it. I like the creeping thyme plan. Weeds will also find conditions friendly between those pavers, so you'll be pulling a ton of those.

Good luck!

Suzi

o

That "Steppables" website has a lot of information about groundcovers that can take some foot traffic.

And can I just say, those are some cute puppies!

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 17:58

I've used the very prostrate creeping thyme in a similar situation, and really liked it. You will have to water to get it established. After a year or so, it will be well grown in and you may have to trim it off the stones now and then. I've also used blue fescue, but it needs more room, gives a different look.

o

Thanks for the posts. Creeping thyme it will be. I have considered the fescue but really wanted something that required minimal trimming. I have looked into steppables and got ideas from there but being that I have a south, east, and west exposure it's quite limiting as to what i can plant.

...and Amanda_m thanks. love my little mutts! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here