Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irismead

help with curb appeal for this small home

irismead
10 years ago

I've purchased this small house that was completely remodeled and the inside is almost perfect for me. However, the exterior was left with no curb appeal. I have posted this over in the remodeling forum and have some suggestions ranging from extending the porch the full length of the house to just extending the porch to the right, redo the steps and finish with better materials. The small window will need to be replaced as it looks very awkward to me. The right end of the house has no windows and a kitchen is behind that wall which makes it impossible to place a window there.
Oh, and the overgrown shrub/tree will be removed and the crooked pine tree is in a neighbor's yard.
Any suggestions here? I'm open and appreciative of any advice.
Thanks

Comments (36)

• designoline6
    10 years ago

My suggests:

• designoline6
    10 years ago

I guess sun light time isn't long.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

I started by widening the steps, but after seeing it, don't think it's necessary. I think you can make the property look pretty good without doing that (though I'm leaving it in the picture.)

The overgrown "shrub" that you intend on removing, I think is positioned well to be turned into a nice small tree if trimmed accordingly as it grows. I'd leave it in place and work on it. With the other plantings ... shape, size, overall arrangement is what I'm trying to convey rather than specific plants, colors or other details. A low groundcover could do a lot in terms of bringing things together.

A window box and shutters could get rid of "vacant" space on the house face. Currently, the paint trim scheme is drab because it's the same general value as the body color. White trim would add some liveliness and get rid of the armory paint scheme look.

Inadvertently, I "erased" a crape myrtle or something like it while painting in the existing tree form shrub behind it. I'm not saying to get rid of it, but I don't think directly in line with the front door is a good position for it ... not if you would like the entrance to be visible and obvious from the most central view from the street.

[Since I could borrow some of SC77's grass, I updated the photo with some GREEN grass]

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 1:39

• sc77 (6b MA)
    10 years ago

The slope in the front is minimal. I would extend the lawn rather than having the mulch.. Grey paint, white trim, black shutters. Formalize mulch bed and expand in corner, then add some choice plantings and this house will pop.

For added curb appeal, focus on a higher end walk (maybe brick) and possibly upgraded porch material.

• irismead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like the ideas presented and I'm surprised how cute the house looks in the draw ups. I originally had much of the yard in mulch because I wanted to eliminate a grass yard. But seeing SC77's ideas, the lawn area really looks pretty. Can you tell me the names of the trees and plantings. I recognize the hydrangea, which is one of my favorites.
    Another question. I don't think there is enough room to place a shutter on the right of the double window. Can one shutter be used and not look funny? I can't tell if a shutter was intended on the right just by looking at the picture.
    Thanks again!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

Most people in the US have nasty, bad looking, weedy grass. They have the general impression that overall, grass does not look that good, isn't too important and can't make that much of a difference. The truth is that IF you have a grass lawn, you will never have a nice looking landscape UNLESS the grass looks good ... is weed free and healthy. Just the same as how bad acne keeps most aspiring actors from realizing their Hollywood acting dreams. Instead, the aspiring actors with good skin realize those dreams. Good looking grass is one of the MOST important parts of the lawn, if there is grass at all.

On the shutter, I think you should experiment with what does work. Do real life mock-ups with painted cardboard. I think the shutters help a lot where they are visible. It may be that an absent one might not be missed. Need to check it out.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    10 years ago

It's too bad that you can't put in even a small window in the kitchen!

A simple thing to do would be to build a small elevated bed -- with natural or concrete stone-- to hide the foundation across the front. Make it a bit curvy, out to the front of the steps, and also make the height level across both sides of the steps to hide the exposed foundation slope down to the drive. In that you can plant a mix of evergreens and flowering shrubs, with varying height and textures like sc77 has shown, with room for flowers (perennials, annuals and bulbs) in front. This might not allow for keeping that overgrown evergreen, I think, even if it looks better limbed up.

If you have to leave any foundation exposed, paint it to match the siding.

The biggest mistake that I see in my neighborhood of homes quite similar to yours, is that the landscaping features are too skimpy -- walls are too short, steps are too narrow, not enough plants, nothing is connected, nothing flows together and draws the eye. It doesn't have to be terribly complicated though. Well done landscaping makes a small simple house have presence and yes, look really cute!

Does your house face north, south, how? That will make a difference in what plants can go where and what can be suggested..
    Seems like you have the makings of a nice shade bed to the left (assuming that the trees cast a lot of shade there) & a variegated dogwood might look very nice there.

If you can build a larger porch, I would do that. A well done porch always has a lot of appeal. You have to be sure to make it well proportioned to the house, but still big enough to use. I could see even having 2 levels to it, to work with the slope.

Your mulched bed in front is fine, if you want to limit the grass area; it just needs a little more variety, interest and balance in the planting. The lone clump of grass needs something else next to it -- like some low evergreens and another clump, maybe a small tree.

• sc77 (6b MA)
    10 years ago

It's very common around here to see a window with just one shutter, when one side of the window doesn't have enough space. In my image, I did not include one, but it's tough to see. Also, as you mentioned, I expanded the other window to match and add balance.

We could make better recommendations if you give us specifics on which direction your house faces, and how much sun it gets. It looked shady to me, so I'm guessing North. The plants I display from left to right are:

* Cornus kousa 'Satomi' (Pink Kousa Dogwood)
    * Picea glauca 'Conica' (Dwarf Alberta Spruce)
    * Hydrangea macrophylla "Endless Summer' (Blue Endless Summer Hydrangea)
    * Cephalotaxus harringtonia 'Fastigiata' (Upright Japanese Plum Yew)
    * Picea glauca 'Pendula' (Weeping White Spruce)
    * Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood' (Red Japanese Maple)

You have a small enough lawn that you shouldn't have a problem keeping nice green grass on a small budget, assuming you get enough sun. I would recommend you get Organic Lawn Handbook. Organic lawn care is far superior in my opinion and cheaper in the long run once you get your lawn established and healthy.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

A general question to the floor: why would one hide a foundation with construction materials (expensive) when one can just as easily hide it with plants (cheap)? It seems to me that it is not getting ahead. If budget is little concern and one is working on a theme, that is a different matter.

10 years ago

Well, I usually see that people do a very poor job of hiding the foundation with plants. Usually due to poor selection and poor maintenance, plus too few. Or they put in a wall of taxus that doesn't do a thing for the curb appeal.

"Construction materials" don't have to be expensive. I built a 30 foot long, 2 foot high dry stack stone wall raised bed without spending a dime on the stone. .
    The stone I collected from fields, excavation sites, and craigslist.
    Craigslist and my own composting were the sources for my fill. I did the work myself. My biggest expense was in driving to collect the materials.

A larger porch may cost to build, but it will add so much. It wouldn't be there just to hide the foundation.

• irismead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!
    The house faces North and the area on the left under the trees that you see is shady. There are 3 clumps of grass on the corner with Black-eyed Susans planted in front of them.
    Sadly, there is no way to get a window on the right. I've read about the fake windows that can be used but don't know how they really look once installed.
    As far as construction materials, I'm sure that they can be collected as Raee did, but I doubt that I would be able to do that. So, all of that would be bought and hired out. What materials would I use in order to upgrade the porch?
    All of you have given me some good ideas and lots to think about!

• irismead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

raee, you mentioned a two level porch. Can you give me more details - it sounds interesting.
    thanks

• lyfia
    10 years ago

You've gotten some great ideas. I wouldn't add shutters on any window where it wouldn't function if it were real shutters. Ie a double window would if you had functional shutters to have a folding shutter. I think fake shutters look best when sized like they were real and meant to close over the windows.

I would also skip a full length porch. It will be very expensive and you'd have to redo the whole front roof slope so the edge of the roof is at a proper height. This would also result in a low slope roof and thus requiring something other than shingles to avoid leaks.

I like the current porch.

• irismead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lyfia, I understand about the shutters and also the expense of a full length porch. Is it possible to change the trim around the windows to something wider, if that's the right word?
    Thanks

• lyfia
    10 years ago

Wider trim could work, but may look a bit off at the top of the large window due to the small gap to the roof.I think just painting the trim will make it stand out more and then fill the blank areas of the walls at the ends with taller shrubs or mini trees.

I think it can look great for not much money at all and some paint. The small window could have shutters if it isn't in a good location to enlarge it. It is a cute cottage to start with.

I would consider some larger light fixtures by the door too. The existing ones looks a tad small.

You've gotten two good pictures of what you could do with the landscaping.

• irismead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK, I'm calling contractors for estimates, etc. Thanks for all the great suggestions - you've probably kept me from wasting tons of money attempting things that would not have worked.

• grantph
    10 years ago

I really like the darker color mock up, and the full length swoop of a plant bed coming all the way to the curb.
    One easy change which looks far more inviting is changing the banisters/railings on the front porch to curl out at the bottom. Looks far more inviting, and a small landing or patio at the base. I wish I had photos of the friends house I am thinking of.
    They did concrete blocks using photo frames in a semi circular pattern , the filled the gaps with a walkable low growing plant that gives off a fragrance as you walk to the front door.

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

I keep coming back for another look at Yardvaarck's solution. Putting on shutters and adding a window box under the small window turns this into a charmer. Love the landscape. Perfect for this house. Genius!

• irismead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, I have some more specific questions. I'm getting estimates on painting, landscaping, etc. Now, could I get some suggestions on replacing the porch posts/railings?
    Also, I'm back to the shutters. I like them, but as I said, there's no room on the right side of the big window, but the house is so plain without them. The window box looks nice, but how hard is it to maintain? I live in Atlanta and the summers are brutal as far as keeping pots watered. I ike the larger window although the painter that was just here stated that it was silly to replace a perfectly good window:) I started to explain that it was the look that I wanted to change, not necessarily because the window wasn't in good shape, but I didn't. Also, the trim around the window is so narrow-just a tiny strip. Will this look better once painted or can the trim work actually be changed. Same problem around the door - can that be beefed up to look nicer? And my last question - I have burglar bars on the windows. How should they be painted?
    Lots of questions, I know, but I really need some help here with these improvements. And, I appreciate all the ideas/advice/suggestions!
    Iris

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

It's a perpetual problem. We don't seem able to keep the window boxes watered like the Europeans can. There are likely some that will hate to hear me say this, but you might consider fake flowers for the window box. But it will make a difference what kind of fake flowers you use. Some look good and realistic. (Much depends on the arrangement.) And some look tacky and fake. This idea comes to mind because I occasionally drive by just such a fake arrangement and have been continually amazed at how good it looks. And it's held up for months ... probably more than a year now and it still looks good. If doing such an arrangement, you should try to make it look realistic ... full ... bountiful ... with some arching and trailing parts.

Recently, I came up with this idea, but have not tried it ... It's not a window box, per se, but I think it would give the general impression of looking like one. The idea is it use a form that a climbing plant (like morning glory) could ascend. It is placed below and in front of a window so that when the plant bunches to the top of it -- like most climbing plants do -- it covers the form and hides some part of the support legs. The form itself is just a simple horizontal bar, or stick. The support legs are narrow stakes or metal rods driven into the ground sufficiently that they will keep the whole business from toppling. It could get quite heavy. The general idea shown below ...

On the shutters ... again, I urge you to mock up some fakes with painted cardboard and duct tape ... enough to see if it looks odd with just one shutter. My guess is that it will look better with one shutter than it looks with no shutters. And that's what you're trying to do ... be happy making it look as good as you can ... not be disappointed because it's less than perfect. For all practical purposes, shutters are just add-on trim. They serve no physical purpose. It's like eye makeup, but for your windows. To your question of "can trim be changed?" ... well, anything can be done ... for a price. But it's probably not worth doing. Instead you could consider tacking on extra trim over the siding -- just like is done with shutters. Do mock-ups first with painted cardboard to see if it warrants the effort. If you do it and really like what you've created, you might consider later doing a permanent install.

To me, changing out any windows seems like an unnecessary and pointless expense. Your windows look fine and by the time you dress everything up, I think you will agree.

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

The house faces north. I don't think you will have much luck with flowers, especially in a flower box by the tree. I have used silk flowers in a pot on a shady porch and everyone thought they were real. I planted 'real' ivy and scattered some geraniums (silk) in the pot. You could pull it off in the flower box.

Just remember to remove them when it gets really cold. My neighbors asked why my geraniums were still blooming in December after a snow fall!

Jane

• sc77 (6b MA)
    10 years ago

It's just one window. If you were enlarging all the windows in your house, I wouldn't consider it. A new window, plus larger cutout might cost $700 with labor. This isn't just for external ascetics either, it will allow more light into your house that currently has few windows. If the window is over 10 years old, you will also gain energy efficiencies as well. The window box does do a reasonable job of creating a visual illusion that there is balance, but only when it is full of flowers and preferable hanging flowers to cover some of that unbalanced space below the window. Without the flowers in winter, you will be back to an unbalanced look.

If funds permit, I would consider replacing your current narrow(?) wood trim with some type of synthetic (vinyl, concrete board, ect). That way it will never rot and you won't have to paint it all the time.

Personally, I think the shutter's give the house a more complete look, even with just the single shutter to the left of the main, larger window. In the North, shutters serve no other purpose other than aesthetics and almost every house has them.

Whatever color you have the burglar bars now is probably the best (white?). I actually thought they were decorative grid inserts. I think you will just need to determine based on your budget what is most important. To me, that window would really irritate me, but that might be less important to you and instead you want an upgrade porch or trim. Be sure not to forget to budget for trees/shrubs, those are just as important.

• irismead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh what great help you all are!! Thanks. I really dislike that small window...that alone almost kept me from even looking at this house. So, I think I'll change that, add shutters, paint and change the porch posts and railings. Now, I need help with the style of posts, etc. I don't want to get something out of proportion to the rest of the house. And, I'm still within my budget, so I'm thinking of a prettier walkway. Suggestions on that? And there's the other end of the house that is a blank wall. The kitchen stove is behind that wall so a window can't be placed there. I have heard of fake windows that can be installed but have never seen them. Opinions?
    Many, many thanks.

• irismead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

posted 2ce

This post was edited by irisetta on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 11:18

• sc77 (6b MA)
    10 years ago

I don't have any opinions on porch posts, maybe others can help there. However, I do think the fake window is unnecessary and and sort of awkward. I would purchase a decent size upright evergreen to hide the fact that there is no window as shown in my sketch.

Another thought was, maybe you could add a skylight in the kitchen, that would be really cool and provide you with some nice natural light in lieu of a window. If you can't because of the attic, you could also consider a {{gwi:18130}}, these are routed through the attic space with reflective tubing and installed inside to look similar to an overhead light.

This post was edited by SC77 on Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 13:05

10 years ago

I lost this thread, so I did not see your question to me, sorry! the 2 level porch I was thinking of I saw on the TV show 'Curb Appeal'. The link below is not to the one I had in mind, but maybe gives a similar idea. Even though this house style is nothing like yours, the idea of using that slope on the right side by the drive to make a pretty garden/walkway/sitting area as part of a second level to the porch is the same. You could have it built out of wood or masonry or composite decking.

I still think that the porch that you have is too small. If you extend it to the right (if you have the money to do it, that is), then the blank wall will not be an issue.

If you have to stay with the same footprint, don't put in round, fluted or ornate posts; they won't suit the character of the house. Simple squares are fine, they just need to be a bit bigger. Can you at least widen the steps and move the railings farther apart?

And, yes, you can add trim around the doors and window to make the frames wider, more balanced and a nice architectural feature.

Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: a good site to search for inspiration

10 years ago

Here is an example of adding trim. The link takes you to the "before"; click next to see the "after".

Here is a link that might be useful: added window trim

• irismead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, raee. They did a great job on those homes! I like the idea of the 2nd level porch. Can you help me visualize that? Would I keep the front steps? Would the gable be extended to the edge of the house or could a pergola be used? It seems too short a space - unless the pergola extended beyond the edge of the house. Ideas?
    Thanks!

• irismead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. What do you think of leaving the small window as is but placing a nice window box under it, framing out all the windows and widening the steps. Then extend the porch with a pergola to either under the large window, under the blank wall or to include both the areas. Then, of course remedy the landscape and also paint the house. Thanks again!

• pls8xx
    10 years ago

You got some excellent ideas on dressing up the house and yard. There is just one remaining item that bothers me. It is the scale of the steps to the house. It's a small house and the steps are overly tall compared to the house, visually. And I don't think it's helped by widening the steps or porch. You might consider building a landing that would move some of the steps needed over to the walk from the drive as shown below.

• babera
    10 years ago

I don't see a problem with the small window. I liked the window box under it. If it were me, and I had to chose between a new window and a bigger porch, I would go for the bigger porch. It would fill the void on the right side of the door, would be a place to add more color and interest as in a chair/bench and some flower pots, both setting and hanging. It would also hide the foundation, which could also be done with plantings, but there is a slope there and watering there might be an issue. I would have the porch go from the left side of the big window to the corner of the house, which means the steps would be placed there.

If all of this is confusing to you and you cant make up your mind, have a contractor give some advise, Most consultations are free, then you wont be making a mistake you'll have to fix. I think your house is very charming, how fun to be the one to give it new life. . .

• irismead
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've completed the remodeling of my home and now would like some ideas for landscaping. I would like to stick with native plants. The tree will probably come down. Thanks for all the help!

• irismead
    Original Author
    9 years ago

here's another view.

• posierosie_zone7a
    9 years ago

No help, but think your remodel looks lovely!

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 years ago

Wow! What a transformation! I love what you did--the color scheme, like the darker color on the porch front triangle, the full length porch with rockers, the wider trim & shutters, the pergola, the curved walk and you even have a decent stand of grass! It doesn't look like the same house--so cheerful now. Congratulations!

This post was edited by lizbeth-gardener on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 22:10

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

It's a much cuter house with the new color scheme and additions to the front. You've done a nice job of turning the formerly obstructive "bush" into a small tree. You could begin lightly shaping the top (by cutting a few tips) with the end goal of a full dome shape that is achieved over time. Allow the overall height to grow slowly while gradually raising the bottom of canopy. One goal of foundation planting, besides hiding the underside of porch would be to provide a stable look to the house in spite of the slope ... meaning that the top of immediate plantings are level and correlate with the porch floor. Further away, plantings can slope with grade without impact. I don't know what's planted near the front, but hopefully it will not get too tall. It would look better if it was a solid bed so that eventually there won't be any mulch showing. Looks like there are two different plants. I would move one to its own new location and fill the bed solid with the other.

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus