Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Design help - shape of stone beds

Posted by wizard19 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 17, 11 at 22:51

We are replacing all our rotted timber beds around the house, including about a 3 foot high retaining wall around half of our pool with limestone. All our beds are basic rectangles/90 degree shaped. The pool is basically rectangular also. We have an oak clump in the middle of the backyard and we are also adding a raised bed, about 15 feet long in the back corner of the yard (basically running a 45 degree angle to the corner). The landscaper wants to change the bed around the oak clump from round to rectangular (and enlarge the area, which I agree with) to match the general shapes of the rest of the beds around the house. He also suggested the new bed in the back corner to be more straight lines than some smooth curves. From a general design principle, do you want to tend to follow the same shape or mix it up? I am thinking I prefer the rounder shapes/smooth curves. Is is just personal preference? Thx for your thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Design help - shape of stone beds

I like rectanges - with the corners rounded. That way you get the best of both worlds so to speak :-)

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 18, 11 at 11:20

Consistency makes for continuity, but I wouldn't say it's a hard and fast rule. Sometimes a change adds drama. Ask for sketches showing both concepts, that may help you decide.

o

I think the style of the house should be an important factor. Rectangles for a "modern" house. Rounded shapes for an older or more traditional style, particularly if the plantings are more naturalistic rather than sheared.

o

I talked to him this morning and he suggested angling the corners, which I thought was a good solution. His comment was "you get the best of both" as WOODYOAK mentioned. Thx all for the responses!

o

to some extent, the materials tend to dictate the shape of beds and other structures. The age, style and building materials used in the house generally have a direct bearing on the decisions around garden design, particularly which materials are used for hard landscaping. As a rule, I do like consistency, at least in each section of the garden, if not across the whole.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here