Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landscape ideas please

Posted by doctj (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 29, 10 at 23:20

Hi
I'm in the finishing stages of my owner-builder construction and would appreciate some ideas on how to landscape the front for final closing. I know I'm going to need sod most likely but not too sure how to prepare the land prior to that. I've taken pictures from various angles to further illustrate the point. Thanks for any help
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landscape ideas please

Congratulations on building such a nice house. If I understand "closing" correctly, that means you want to sell? In that case, if your initial vision did not include any landscaping features, I would suggest you just do as you say - sod it over.

For information on how to prepare the ground, I suspect the sod supplier would be able to help, or else perhaps an internet search would generate some information.

KarinL

o

Closing means changing the construction loan to a fixed mortgage.

o

You might want to have the area graded and sodded with beds around the foundation mulched. Then do your landscaping after some study about what you like, what grows in your area etc. A retail gardening store in your area could give you some ideas.

o

That sounds reasonable. Thanks

o

I would first ask your builder (if you are not the one) if their pricing includes a final grade. This final grade should get you within 1" of the "finish grade" which is the final preparation stage before you seed or sod. You will want to lay out your landscape beds, decide which plantings are suitable for your site. Once the landscape is in then you can install the lawn. Sod is great because it is instant but if you do not have an automatic irrigation system I would not reccommend it. Seeding will give you a better lawn in the long run but it will take better than a year to become established if you have that much patience! The lawn will adapt to your site conditions versus sod where it is coming from a sod farm where it has the perfect conditions. Then you install it at your house where the conditions more than likely are not like the ones at the sod farm. Make sure you have at least 3" of good top soil first. Don't bother installing top soil unless you do at least the 3" because it will not make a difference. You can visit my website for some ideas at http://www.allterrascape.com

Here is a link that might be useful: All Terra Landscape Services LLC

o

Dear Allterra: by all means continue to visit the forums and contribute to the discussion. But please do not link to your website!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here