Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help decide what should go here...pic!

Posted by slow_to_grow (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 2, 11 at 23:21

It is west facing...
I have since replanted another dwarf holly to even out that row. I am thinking Sweet Potato Vine as groundcover in the front. I have daylilies off to the right. Maybe they need to go???

The ferns are not happy, they are going.

Closer to the door I have society garlic and agapanthus. I would like something green year-round that flowers pink.

Dwarf oleander or hydrangea? We also added topsoil to the beds. They were mostly sand. Rubber mulch is gone, too.

Front Bed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help decide what should go here...pic!

Yes,you could add other evergreen rock,hosta,dogwood,boxwood,juniper,azalea ...too.

Photobucket

o

It would help to know your USDA zone, also roughly where you live so we have some idea of the high temperatures you get. You can look up your zone here; just put in your zip code:
http://www.garden.org/zipzone/index.php

The plants in ideasshare's photo aren't to scale, so you shouldn't put too much faith in that depiction.

o

I agree it would help to know your zone. Also, my strong suggestion is ammend your soil with compost or manure. I find topsoil doesn't do anything to help plants thrive.
Some ideas: Abelia are nice and evergreen with PINK flowers. Some varieties are prettier than others and some are fragrant, too. I'd plant 3 of them along the brick wall in a not perfect row - sort of curved. A few low growing knock out roses scattered in front of the abelia. (Depending on what type of maintence you want you can do old garden roses too) Then possibly a juniper type ground cover. I'd space your agapantha out and add more so they make the curve. You can also add some annual color at the edge. This space can be beauitful but please consider improving your soil. If it gets enough shade and the soil is good hydrangea would do well there but they are bare in the winter so you might want to inter plant with something evergreen. Do gardenia grow well there? In my previous home I had a row of gardenia and at the end a HUGE 20 year old hydrangea and they were great together.
If you're in the cooler area hosta would also look nice, especially as an edger.
Sunny

o

Thanks. I don't know why my zone disappeared.

I will also add some manure.

I was considering dwarf oleander in the back. I am not sure if they make a pink variety of that or not. Anyone know?

Down in front, I added margerite sweet potato vine to spread out and reduce the need for so much mulch.

Thanks for the responses so far.

o

I'm in Texas zone 8. Aren't dwarf oleanders a little cold tender for your area? Looks like a lot of direct light for daylilies, perhaps too much for a sweet potato vine as well. Don't they require frequent watering? Some Harbour Dwarf nandina would give you some nice color in that area. There is also a pink blooming dwarf ruellia, and some lantana blooms pink (sort of, anyway.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here