Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roksee

clueless about pathways

roksee
10 years ago

Hi... is there anyone out there that could give me some resonable ideas about how to use these recycled cement stones I pulled up from elsewhere in my back garden to try to build a little pathway in this small area.... I'm going to plant bushes and other plants on both sides. I have no labor help, so keep that in mind... I also have some bricks and some riverstone.....
thanks for any thoughts....
roksee
here is a pic of what I did today...just dragged in these from other places in the property.

Comments (28)

• catkim
    10 years ago

Measure your materials to see if there is any commonality in sizing that can be useful. If you are creative, you can weave together these disparate parts by adding additional material. Try that pinterest site, look for "garden pathways diy" for inspiration.

• emmarene9
    10 years ago

The cement stones I see above, were they selectively placed? If so this is not a good path.

• roksee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

emmarene... you made me laugh.. out loud, no kidding.
    No... those stones are not selectively placed... I just dropped them inside the fencing becuse they were so heavy... I haven't done anything yet.
    Lynne

• roksee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks catkim... will do

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I think you could try other materials along with those paver type things to make a very attractive path. I'd draw a line in the dirt, dig out the path, put bags of sand or gravel level, and then start designing. Try something like the link below, only maybe more geometric?

Here is a link that might be useful: Interesting Mosaic Path

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I don't know if you're asking for technical help for building a walkway, or design help. Here are a few that I have saved on pinterest with mixed materials.

{{gwi:18679}}
    {{gwi:18680}}
    {{gwi:18681}}

But my favorites are softened with plant materials between. Just be sure you have enough of the hardscape for your footfall.

{{gwi:18682}}
    {{gwi:18683}}
    {{gwi:18685}}
    and my fav:
    {{gwi:18688}}

• emmarene9
    10 years ago

Glad I made you laugh.

Who will use this path? Is it mostly for decoration?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

I like the first three photos of paths from olychick because they look more practical and have charm. The stepping stones look charming, too, but when something turns out to be actually unpleasant to use, functionally -- as stepping stones so often do -- it can start looking less pleasant, too.

10 years ago

We had flagstone between river rock at our last home, and the rock was not cemented in so it was constantly rolling over the flagstone. It was a real hazard to walk out there.
    Suzi

• roksee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi everyone... these photos are beautiful and EXACTLYwhat I can probably do.. very excited.
    emmarene, it will be a pathway hardly ever used, really, except by me.
    desertdance: thats the kind of info I need since I'm such a novice... and kind of lazy... so I will consider what you saying.
    Thank you all !!!

• littlebug5
    10 years ago

At my last house, we had a pathway like desertdance. It was wide - with 2' square pavers placed in the middle surrounded with river rock. That river rock was AWFUL. At the time our kids were still small. They loved throwing it - at each other, on the roof, in the grass, etc. We had a Labrador retriever, and when she ran through the rock it sprayed everywhere. And don't even think about scooping snow off it.

As soon as I had enough money saved up I had a real sidewalk put in.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Here is another mixed media pathway that popped up on pinterest today and made me think of your post

{{gwi:18690}}

• roksee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another winner, olychick. I like the photos you choose because most of them seem quite doable.... of course easy for me to say now...as I have not begun. Its been raining here...so now my area (clay :( is a muddy mess.
    I'll keep working on it.
    thanks for thinking of me....again.

10 years ago

I love this thread. We have many random pavers, bricks, flagstones, etc. left here by previous owners also. We have created a small garden area at the end of our front yard, and it needs a path. These are all great ideas!

Suzi

• deviant-deziner
    10 years ago

these stepping stone path shapes remind me of the ones in your photo

• roksee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yes,deviant-deziner (love that name) another great pic from you that seems doable.

• roksee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi... as I was continuing to contimplate all of the great pathway ideas you've all given me.. I was offered these little stones free.. (50) could someone give me an idea of how I could start a design with these ?
    thanks

• roksee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi... here is a photo

This post was edited by roksee on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 13:09

• roksee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

a photo

This post was edited by roksee on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 1:31

10 years ago

I cant see any link to the photo, so are the stones round or flat, and how big are they?

Are you trying to achieve a mosaic kind of look?

Will you be laying them in sand?

Are there enough of them to complete your path with no other pavers purchased?

Suzi

10 years ago

Is this what you are looking for?

Suzi

• roksee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Suzi... I was having trouble downloading the pic for a while there. I love your new pic. Well.. there is what I'm getting...pic above. I was just curious about ideas using that particular shape stone... ( since I'm getting them free) and maybe with something else, small....

• devolet
    10 years ago

I made this path from remnant bricks from a planter wall and sidewalk I took a sledgehammer to. And believe it or not, I lost the sledgehammer in my garden somewhere. I guess I'm the answer to the question, how does one lose a sledgehammer?

• violetwest
    10 years ago

wow, that's a score, roksee! In informal gardens, I really like the mixed media/scrap hardscape pics I see around.

10 years ago

Did you get those stones from freecycle? They are awesome and you should be able to accomplish many of the ideas here with them.

ElysianFields, sorry about your sledgehammer. We've lost many things on our property. Gopher holes? But we've found lots of things others have lost too! When we first moved here we found some new tool every day!

I don't think a sledgehammer can walk too far without human help. We had gardeners at our last home as part of the HOA, and one day I watched my hose move like a snake. I rushed out and caught the gardeners stealing it! They did NOT escape that one! But they did get away with a few other items.

Roksee, show us your completed path when it's done!

Suzi

• roksee
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will Suzi.... I've got to stay healthy so I can do the work.
    ; )
    also thanks for the tip about freecycle... I don't know about it but I will research here.
    Thanks everyone, again.
    roksee

• roksee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

well,,,,, its a start....now I have to design.... any artistic...and. all suggestions?? :>
    roksee

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

Very nice. And good of you to come back to your thread and show us what you've done.