Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenshananigans

Drainage Dry Stack Retaining Rock Wall

GardenShananigans
11 years ago

I have built two long, dry stack retaining rock walls (about 200 feet in length total) about three feet tall each. These are half man basalt rocks back-filled with drain rock (not brick, cast concrete stone or any other impermeable material, and no mortar) Each wall seems to drain rainwater fine through the rocks. Both walls remain perfectly stable as built after two wet winters.

I am now planning a third wall. I am planning on building this one the same way as the other two, but I wanted to see if anyone out there has more experience with dry stack. I am contemplating using landscape fabric or a french drain behind the base on this one.

I have read a TON on dry stack and there seem to be different schools of thought on how to ensure proper drainage. It appears from my reading that there are a few right ways to ensure drainage (one being the method I have used) and many other ways that lead to an unstable wall.

Anyone out there do this more than me and can tell me if I gain anything by adding fabric or drain pipe?

Comments (6)