Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
getting rid of grass

Posted by supaflyz houston (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 0:23

Hey guys my mom have been wanting to dig out the dirt and grass on both sides of the house for awhile because whenever it rains it leave a big mess and makes it look ugly. It use to have st. augustine grass but now its taken over by kentucky blue grass and bermuda grass. We hire someone to do the concrete patio and cover and it looks great. They also did these little concrete frame that my mom wanted to keep the grass out from her trees and flowers. It cover over much of the grass. We still have a little part left on the left side of the house and a good amount on the right.
Initially we wanted to hire someone to dig out about 2 or 3 inches of dirt and grass. Then we would put cardboard box over it. Then put the garden plastic material to prevent grass from growning. Then put sand on it to level it out. After that just lay some patio pavers over it.
The guy that came to look at the backyard today said you don't necessarily have to take the dirt and grass out. He can put sand over it. Then put some cement and mix it and put it over the sand. He will order some kind of machine to compress it together. Then laid the pavers on top.
Do you guys think that is an effective way to prevent the grass from growing and makes the yard look cleaner.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: getting rid of grass

If I understand correctly, you want this to be all patio?

Compressing? Sounds like the level will be be raised with the addition of pavers. What happens to the existing stepping 'stones'? Not sure of what your Mom's final vision is.

o

Is the rest of the property -- as well as the surrounding area -- as level as what the pictures show? If you're covering everything with cement and raising it, will drainage be a problem?

o

I was kind of worry about that same situation. I was thinking they have to dig down to make it level to the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here