Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Temporary cover for dirt

Posted by ycombinator CA (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 0:25

I am about to remove a deck from my backyard. Once I do this, there will be a patch of dirt that is approximately 12' x 8' in place of the deck. I would like to cover up this patch of dirt so our dog does not roll around in it.

What temporary cover could I use for this purpose? I want this to be something that's low cost and preferably reusable later (say, when we redesign the entire backyard in a year or two).

I have been considering using gravel but I have no clue where to start. In particular:
- What size and type of gravel should I use?
- Where can I get it?
- How much would it cost?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Temporary cover for dirt

Have you considered sod? It wouldn't be that expensive. And, really, if you're patient and have a way to keep the dog out of it, you could simply just seed it, that would be very cheap, and it would come in quickly. You could use it somewhere else if you want, or just kill it.

Optionally, you could look at some cheap pavers, but that'll run in $150 or more, but they'd be easy to put down and take back up.

This all assumes a simple thick tarp or plywood (ugly) wouldn't work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here