Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is the sand soil planting bed good?

Posted by coody 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 11, 10 at 0:41

There are sands under the soil in the planting bed. I do not know why the planting bed was designed to have the sand under the soil (for moisture)? I noticed the plants are not grown fast. Is it because of the sand? Can I plant the shrubs/bushes in the sand soil planting bed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is the sand soil planting bed good?

I had the experience of advising in a similar condition. It was pure sand 10 inches down at least. The owner did not want to remove 3-4 inches of sand to make way for organic matter & free soil. Her plants languished & eventually died.

Check how deep the sand is. Maybe there's soil down a bit. How deep is the top layer and what does it seem to be? Mulch? Is this a raised planter bed? Or is it flower beds. Just curious.

o

It is a flower bed. The sand is about 2 inches and there are mulches above the soil. I will replace the mulch with the pine straw. I just want to know why the planting bed needs sand. Can you explain it or the send is totally unnecessary? If the sand is bad thing for planting, I will remove them and put top soil in the flower bed.

o

Only 2 inches. Perfect. Dig the mulch (I asssume it is orangic - not rocks) and the 2 inches of sand in with a shovel so it is distributed into the top 8-10 inches. You will learn a lot about your soil in the process. Your plants will be happier. Do you know what soil type you have? Does it drain well? Or does it stay wet and gummy for several days after a rain?

Maybe the sand was spread on top to prevent weeds? Most people dig in sand to loosen up the soil and to improve drainage. The exception is with clay soils. In clay, or adobe, soils sand is a no-no. Organic (like manure) is excellent for all soil types and needs replenishing every year for optimum results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here