Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Adding a bed border to bottom of retaining wall

Posted by catsgurleygirl 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 0:44

Hello, My husband and I are going to be doing vegetable gardening in our back yard. There is a spot at the foot of our retaining wall in the curve (back corner on far size of pic) that we are going to border out (2 or 3 rows high) so we can plant several tomatoes. It's like we are making a bed that encloses the curve of the wall if that makes sense. My question is, will it look funny if we don't match the retaining wall brick? The bricks are the full size grey retaining wall bricks (about 12x17x6 in). I wasn't sure if the texture or size wasn't the same if it would look off. Granted, I am just making a small veggie bed, but I still want it to look nice. Sorry the picture isn't great, but its the best I have right now. Thanks! BTW, the shed, trampoline and crepe myrtle arem't there anymore, so they won't feature.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Adding a bed border to bottom of retaining wall

I think it would be fine, perhaps paint the material that you use (cinder block, wood) or grow a trailing plant (herb or sweet potato) over the material.

o

It will look fine! Sometimes we worry too much about what others will think, but this is your back yard! Do whatever you want! Enjoy your harvest!

Suzi

o

Just curious .... why do you want the garden to be raised instead of at ground level, which is much cheaper, easier?

o

It would be great if our soil and drainage would handle direct planting, but the section between the wall and shed has terrible drainage. Our area is known for its drainage issues and while our backyard has two (French?) drains (can't find an exit for either one), that little area holds water in a puddle for days if not close to a week. Plus our soil is Memphis, TN clay. We plan on planting up the whole side of the yard (about 600 sq ft) and that little section is the worst. We think there is a dip in grade there that might be contributing to the problem. The idea is to do a few raised beds near that area and heavily amend the area farther away and try in ground planting there, but I am very open to ideas or suggestions. Thanks!

Not sure if pic is helpful, but it's another more current view of wall to show area, you can kind of see a rough bounty laid out on other side of tiller.

o

A landscape supply or home hardware type big box store should have materials similar to the color your current retaining wall is. Or use the multi color material that is shades of brown, grey and tan to carry the color out from the wall. You could even do more than one level of raised bed, five rows in the middle flanked by three rows on each side, and consider doing a potager mixing ornamentals with edibles perhaps. Or a children's garden in one section so your busy bee in the pink hat can have a space to work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here