Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Log rounds as stepping stones

Posted by kaitain4 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 08 at 1:43

I had a large cherry tree cut down last November, and came upon the idea of cutting it into "rounds" and using them as stepping stones on a garden path (see picture). I recently had the trunk (18" diameter) and two large limbs cut into 5" thick sections. These will be sunk in gravel to make the stepping stones.

I have several questions:

1.) How long should I allow the wood rounds to dry out before sealing them?

2.) I plan on using marine varnish to seal and dress the rounds. I plan on sealing every surface - is this the right thing to do?

3.) The rounds will be set almost 3 inches deep into gravel. Any idea who long they'll last?

Thanks in advance for any input.

K4

http://picasaweb.google.com/vincent.doug/Garden/photo?authkey=lYLOgdUDnpU#5192679763963987730

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Log rounds as stepping stones

Spar varnish (marine varnish) is waterproof and sunlight-resistant. Naturally, good for use on ship or boat spars and other woodwork where you want a glossy finish. The only note of caution in a high gloss surface is that it can be slippery.

I don't know how long it would take your log rounds to dry out to accept a coat of varnish, but you might want to consider adding some sand or grit to the surface before the varnish dries - simply for safety's sake.

Not intended as stepping stones, but I've got the trunk remains of old spruce cut down to maybe 5 inches above ground level in my fern bed - maybe two or three times as large as your cherry logs. I've slid off them more than once and they're just bare, unsealed wood.

o

I wouldn't bother varnishing them because you'll have to wait too long for the wood to dry. Just use them, in actually they are free money.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o

• Posted by mjsee Zone 7b, NC (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 24, 08 at 17:42

Bullthistle...

What's up with the perpetual posting of "propagating perennials"? In what way is a site dedicated to propagating perennials useful to someone with a stepping stone (or log) question? Perhaps I missed something...

o

Stepping stones usually are used through a garden or lawn area and other than vegetables what do you have in gardens?

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 24, 08 at 21:10

Apart from them becoming slippery even if stones are used instead of wood rounds you still have the problem of them being dribbles in the scene that produce a visual distraction from the whole. When looking from afar your eye is captured by these dots running through. When walking on them you have to look at them to see where to step, instead of taking in the garden around you.

Where individual stones are useful is in mixed borders, as islands among the plants where feet can be placed instead of trodding on the soil (or plants).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here