Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A touch of the tropics by the swimming pool

Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 14, 11 at 2:47

This bromeliad is one that I've even seen used as an indoors in winter/outdoors in summer accent plant on the East Coast, but we are mild enough to grow this outdoors in the SF Bay Area year round. The more sun it gets, the more colored up the foliage gets, and when it finally blooms, which hopefully will take 6 to 8 years, and it will tower up to 6 feet tall with a bloom spike.(Like most bromeliads, it will die once it blooms, so I'm not in any hurry as this one doesn't usually pup). I love this plant, Alcantarea imperialis rubra from the Organ Mountains above Rio de Janeiro, and this one is already 4 feet across by 3 feet tall after just 3 years. I've got it planted amidst Alstroemeria 'Rachel', Justicia aurea and Justicia carnea behind it, and Tecomaria capensis aurea to the side, so it is surrounded by flower power from late spring into fall. Check out the other photos in the set for the rest of the scene around the pool, located on the island of Alameda, just 3 houses in from the bay's edge.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alcantarea imperialis rubra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A touch of the tropics by the swimming pool

David, I swear you are only doing this to wind me up, I'll have you know that it was 8 degrees C here today out of the wind.

o
RE: A touch of the tropics by the swimming pool

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 14, 11 at 20:18

Okay then Tony, now that I know that it wasn't exactly warm there today, I'll cool it down with some blues... We are still having temps around 8C at night here, way too cold for April in my view, it should be above 10C by now. I don't think I would survive an actual winter anymore, and here's a shot of a garden that has filled in during the winter, it was just planted late last October. Another reason I live in California, even if the state is falling into bankruptcy...

Here is a link that might be useful: Feeling the garden blues

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here