Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help

Posted by joy1874 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 30, 11 at 7:31

I am moving my peonies to the back. I use to have my hydrangea's there but is moving them to a spot of their own. I do not know what to put in front of my peonies. I am trying to find plants that bloom a different time to showcase a beautiful flowering garden. One of the plants I am going to put towards the front is 'Chater's Double' hollyhock in a hot pink. If you have any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help

Hollyhocks tend to grow quite tall, so placing them in the front of a mixed perennial planting may not be exactly the look you want :-) They are also quite prone to rust, which disfigures the foliage and makes them look ratty and ugly by the end of the season so are often tucked behind other fuller, lower growing plants to disguise this feature.

Selections of other perennials or flowering plants is not really a landscape design issue and may be better answered by a forum that more specifically addresses these plants, like the Perennials forum. Or, your regional forum is a good source of location-appropriate suggestions. A visit to your local garden center is also a good place to get ideas. There are literally thousands of possibilities depending on your soil and light conditions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here