Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
urban garden with shade

Posted by eblin 7 (DC) (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 14, 11 at 8:16

We recently rehardscaped our small, rowhouse backyard. Unfortunately, the design was dictated by the two large trees that flank the north and south sides of the yard. As the picture shows, we have 3 beds.

http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0091009/photos/53607757@N02/5619084518

The long strip against the garage (on the west side of the yard) now has 3 boxwoods, along with a tall planter that needs to fill in, and we like that. We also plan to install some hanging pockets in the bricked in window to give some color above.

The problem are the two other beds. The long strip bed on the right is primarily shade, with the exception of the far end (towards the garage), which gets partial sun in the afternoons. We have some hostas in there, which have thrived, but the bed is now larger and I'm a bit bored with them. The other curved bed is in deep shade.

I'm thinking of all impatiens in the curved bed, but I'm looking for some ideas for a mixture of perennials and annuals in the other. I'm not a huge fan of purple, I'm afraid, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: urban garden with shade

hosta,laurel,privet,lilac small rock maybe work
Photobucket

o
RE:b urban garden with shade

azalea work too.
Photobucket

o

Thanks! I'll take the smaller plant ideas, as I can't really change the hardscaping without losing more space.

o

There are so many cool shade plants!
Shrubs: try for azaleas or dwarf rhododendrons, perhaps a shade tolerant dwarf conifer.

Perennials/bulbs : Bleeding hearts, Pulmonaria (lungwort), Ferns, Jacob's Ladder, Toad Lily, Brunnera, Plumbago, Lamimum (dead nettle), Coral Bells (Heuchera), Hellabores, astilbe, Daffodils, grape hyacinths, Lily of the valely (can be invasive)

Annuals: Torenia, impatiens, coleus

Obviously you'll have to check for hardiness and mature plant sizes, but I would think you could find something on that list to get excited about :) Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here