Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy evergrn shrub zone 5?

Posted by juleecat z5 OH (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 11, 10 at 8:31

Any suggestions for a hardy, evergreen shrub....max. ht. 5 foot...will be the backbone of a bed that is along the western side of the house-gets lots of wind and snow in the winter. I have some great blue hollies in the northern beds, and boxwoods that are semi-protected in southern beds....lilacs doing great on the east, but would like some color in this bed, as it is next to the sideload garage. Our soil is heavy, this bed has been ammended with topsoil, and I plan to put several more inches of topsoil before planting. Will be planting some daylilies, knockout roses, sedum and annuals for spring/summer/fall color. Thanks! :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy evergrn shrub zone 5?

How about Pieris (Andromeda)? It has those lovely, fragrant , lily-of-the-valley looking flowers in spring. There are white and rose-red varieties. Some varieties also have new growth that's pink-tinged, for more color. Pretty shrubs.

How much sun does it get (full western exposure or some shaded?)? I think some of the Pieris take more sun than others.

o

Look up some of the cypress genus, as there are lots of fine conifers out there. Not to be a plant snob, but your plant inventory seems to be very big-box store.

o

Staceyneil, I have a few Pieris in a semi-protected area in partial sun, and tney are doing well....will have to look into larger varieties, as the species I have are 5yrs old, and only about 2 feet in height. The bed I will be planting is in full sun. rhodium, I will look into the cypress family.....thanks for the suggestion. And, I would love some other plant suggestions that arent' "big-box store".........we live on 5 acres, so lots of land to experiment with, but a limited local supply of plants! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here