Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodswalker88

patio & roadside challenge

woodswalker88
12 years ago

Greetings,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/woodswalker/

I have a few landscaping challenges. First...I built a patio and have to landscape the area around it. A year ago I planted a maple, oak and redbud tree about 15 ft to the rt of the patio. In 10 years or so there will be lots of shade. But right now it's a sunny spot. So I am looking for part/shade plants... I planted a few Encore Azaleas, also a Japanese maple. I also want to plant some privacy-type evergreens off to the right. Or else maybe some climbing plants & a trellis? I really don't know where to go with this. PS the soil is Clay. Awful....

The second challenge is the roadside. There is a row of dogwood trees & a great tall oak...so it is a shady-ish area. On the other hand this thing faces east, so most of the afternoon shade goes in the opposite angle (away from the road.). I want to plant some screening shrubs along this roadside. Preferably ones that stay green all year. The climate is zone 6, southeast PA, and we can get droughts, heat waves, etc. I have thought about some arbor vitae or leyland cypress, but I'm not sure if they would be happy so close to the dogwoods. Right now I just have some random shrubs like a viburnum from Lowes discount last fall.

I hope my flickr link works. Thanks for any suggestions!

Here is a link that might be useful: my flickr photos

Comments (3)