Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lava rock in dirt - wanting to plant grass

Posted by renovatingwoman CO (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 2, 11 at 9:09

The former owners of my house/foreclosure I bought put lava rock in the strip by the road. I put in a path and am wanting grass, the lava rock half washed away according to a neighbor but there's some left. There's about an inch of room I could spread out dirt from the back yard on top of. Would that help? Or what would I do to prep the strip so that I could plant seed. I don't think I can afford sod but if that's the answer I could if need be. In the front yard I've been successful at seeding and getting the grass to mostly come back, but of course there was no lava rock. I'm new to landscaping.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lava rock in dirt - wanting to plant grass

First, you have to get rid of the lava rock. If you can rake it into one pile, you can offer it on craigslist for someone to come and take it. It's amazing what people will take if it's free.

After the lava rock is gone, you can add dirt if it's low and seed it. Of you could plant different plants and go crazy so long as you know they might get stepped on and have snow thrown on them, etc., etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here