Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with backyard

Posted by bandy1080 Cape Cod, MA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 9:22

I am hoping you can help me figure out what do as far as landscaping my property line in the back yard.

As you can see from the images, I have a very nice grass area in the back but where the grass ends there is wild weeds and such that I attempt to keep at bay at least once a year. I have killed them, mowed them, ripped them up but every year they grow back. I am at the point where I can't really deal with them and so I want to hide them.

I am thinking of planting some privacy trees or such that would grow to be 5 - 6 feet high and block the view of the grass but still allow me to see into the woods from my deck and patio. I have no idea about trees or bushes and i figured I would educate myself here before going to the nursery.

This area gets plenty of sunlight and plenty of water from my irrigation system. I am looking for a cheap solution since we are talking almost 120 yards of property line.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with backyard

Another photo panning to the right

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 10:49

Heavily mulching the area should help prevent re-growth of the weeds. You have a lovely view of the wood. A transition zone of native shrubs might be a solution.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natives for MA

o

Thank you for the advice. I would love to do mulch but that is A LOT of mulch. Like three dump trucks full.

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 15:27

Well, start with one truckload. See how it goes.

o

Agree, mulch is the way to go to slow down the weed growth.
But truthfully, weeding once a year to control your weed growth would be considered by most gardeners as a very LOW maintenance garden.

If you opt to plant shrubs in the area you will still have the weeds to contend with. You'll probably have more due to unearthing up the soil and bringing the weed seeds up to the light for germination. ... And you will now have shrubs to maintain .

Three truck loads of mulch is nothing for a property of that size.
It is basic landscape maintenance.

Suggest you bring your photo to Mahoneys Nursery and see what they have to say. They've always been a great source of good horticultural information on the Cape.

o

When I had large areas to mulch, I arranged to get free wood chips from a couple of different tree maintenance companies. (They dumped about 15 trailer loads of it over a period of time.) It worked out well and made a BIG difference in weed regrowth. (I sprayed with 2 different herbicides first.) It's probably the easiest, cheapest way to keep a large area free of weeds.

o

I think your "weeds" are a beautiful offset to your lawn and the trees. I'm jealous of your view just as it is.

A mixed shrub border could be lovely if you can't manage to train your eye to accept what you have :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here