Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Disguising electrical and utility boxes

Posted by Mrs4man none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 9:24

Hello all. Hopefully I am posting this in the right forum :)

I have unsightly green utility boxes out in my front yard. There are three of them in a cluster. I know I shouldn't plant anything around them, so that access is readily available, but I was wondering if I could build a 'boulder' that would cover them up, yet be light enough for two people to lift off the boxes. Has anyone ever heard of this being done? I researched Hypertufa, but think that would be too heavy to lift off. I was thinking about loosely wrapping the boxes in chicken wire, paper mache-ing them, and then covering with that spray foam stuff, but I wasn't sure how resilient they'd be to weather. Would it work? Are there any options out there that don't include purchasing a pre-fab rock (they are EXPENSIVE!!) Thanks in advance!!

Annie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Disguising electrical and utility boxes

If you make a really nice boulder, I imagine it could be a good solution. But that's a really big "if."

Without a picture, it's hard to say if this could work, but here, many of the utility objects are painted with decorative, multi-colored, high gloss paint schemes that change them into somewhat attractive sculptures. I'm not sure how it started or who's responsible for it, but in general, the scheme is likeable. Some of the pipes, etc. are quite attractive and eye-catching. To my thinking it's a far preferable solution than trying to screen them with bulky shrubs, which usually ends up looking worse than the things that are being screened.

o

hmm what about this

Here is a link that might be useful: decorate utility box

o

What a great idea!!! Love it!

o

A neighbor has plantings around hers, and paid attention to how the boxes open, making allowances for that. Doubt that an electrical utility would allow it to be covered over as you suggest.

A picture of yours in relationship to the house and street might help get you some good examples of how others have dealt with this. I've got a couple of small ones, so just ignore them. Love the idea of the birdhouse cover for the cable box that Marinewifenc showed!!

o

I think what you're describing is something like this: http://www.thepondguy.com/category/water-gardens-fish-ponds-faux-rocks. They can get a little up there in price, depending on how nice of one you want, but you can also distract from the fakeness of the faux rocks by planting some stuff around it.

(Also, couldn't help it, had to share this...)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here