Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Privacy/Buffer Ideas for Property Line

Posted by wwconslt z5MA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 29, 09 at 9:31

Hello,

I'm looking for ideas and suggestions on what to plant as a privacy buffer along one side of our house. Our neighbors on that side have an in ground swimming pool with a low fence around it. Their pool is about 20 feet from our property line.

Our property line runs about 40 yards with a gentle slope from front to back. We know someone who suggested Weeping Willow Bushes. But I think we would need quite a few to cover 40 yards worth. I'm not a big fan of arborvitae trees, but they might provide the best privacy.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Privacy/Buffer Ideas for Property Line

Forgot to mention we are in Western Mass. The privacy buffer will be on the south side of the house. Lot's of sun with no shade.

Thanks.

o

I was reading a post that was similar to yours, even though they had a high fence and yours is low. They live close to your zone and there were a lot of good ideas on it. You may want to check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Suggestions for trees along privacy fence

o

I'm guessing your neighbours might be violating regulations about pool safety if their fence is low, but that's another issue.

If you use plants you'll need quite a few of whatever you use. If budget is an issue, as was mentioned on another thread, watch craigslist or freecycle, or buy in fall... or indeed, use something that roots easily that you can get cuttings of, maybe from someone who has a big mature bush.

You need to decide what features you want the plants to have - evergreen vs. deciduous, what height, how much maintenance.

Have you considered a privacy fence?

KarinL

o

We also needed privacy along a property line. I wanted something fast growing but also evergreen as I wanted year round privacy. We decided on Green Giant arborvitae. They do not look like the typical conical shaped arborvitae, but are a little more open, airy, and free flowing. From my research they are virtually the only variety that are deer resistant. They were about 18-24" when planted last April and averaged a foot of new growth last year. When established, they are supposed to grow 3-5 ft per year. They do need a lot of watering the first year or so until they get settled. With this past hard winter, we had some significant deer damage on half, but hopefully those will recover and I will spray with deer solution just to be sure.
We ordered from The Botany Shop
http://www.botanyshop.com/index.htm . Prices were really good and tree condition on arrival was great.
Hope this helps.

o

Thank you for all of your great ideas. Kazoonative, you mentioned something I didn't consider but I'm glad you pointed out: year round privacy. The Arborvitae might just be the way to go. What's the major difference between The Green Giant and Emerald Green? How far apart did you plant them? Do you think 10 will suffice for 40-50 yards?

o

The Emerald Green is a fuller more conical shaped tree from what I've seen. They grow 4-9 inches per year once established (a slow grower) and are not deer resistant. They are a thuja occidentalis - a cultivar of the eastern white cedar. The Green giant grows 3-5 ft per year when established (a fast grower)They have a more open, free flowing appearance and are thuja plicata a cultivar of the western cedar. Check out these info pages: http://www.nurserytrees.com/Arborvitae_What_You_Need_to_Know.html and http://www.botanyshop.com/GREEN GIANT FACT SHEET 1.htm
Hope this helps!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here