Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ls8989

New Patio and Brick pathway pics

ls8989
11 years ago

For those of you who have read my postings about "I should have known better" otherwise known as "Grading Gone Wild", here's the finished (but still curing) concrete patio that started this whole thing. We reused the brick pavers from a sinking below deck patio for a new walkway down to the firepit. BTW, all you guys who chastised me for not having a plan will be relieved to know I have a landscape architect coming later this month to advise me on the rest of the project - waterfall, firepit, retaining wall. I surrendered....

{{gwi:20167}}

{{gwi:20168}}

{{gwi:20169}}

Comments (13)

• designoline6
    11 years ago

Nice, you accepted the my pic's ideas. You need some pics that show the overall yard and waterfall, firepit, retaining wall situation and conditions.Don't too close up.

• adriennemb2
    11 years ago

Such a beautiful spot, Lynn. Very restful and green. It will be interesting to see the ultimate plan that you and the architect come up with. And not to jinx you, but I bet that in your next project, you'll be looking to build a screened-in porch or gazebo to escape the bugs :)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    11 years ago

What can be seen of the curved walk looks pretty good. It looks like there's a little funkiness going on with the steps arrangement and connection to the deck. But that could be worked with. Nothing frightening. Glad to hear you have LA on the way. It will help.

• designoline6
    11 years ago

Should add some hardscape and some plants.
    {{gwi:17683}}

• catkim
    11 years ago

What is a mini perlite mountain? I googled it and found soil mixes, no mountains.

• designoline6
    11 years ago

It is made with perlite,sand and cement.water-holding capacity is good.can plant some shrubs.DIY?

• designoline6
    11 years ago

{{gwi:17682}}

• designoline6
    11 years ago

{{gwi:20170}}

• reyesuela
    11 years ago

I'm confused about the concrete patio. The patio slopes? Like, a lot? The lower door isn't to code, anywhere. Why was there an 8" slope put in on the patio?

But I like the walk! It needs to be tied into the patio better--the cement extension dies awkwardly at a step, and it looks like a weirdly unlevel transition that might not be a code violation, but it's sure not good design.

• ls8989
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It's just the photo. Patio slopes a few inches, just enough for water runoff. The door was existing and we replaced the french door with a solid one bc this is the door to the tool room/utility room. There is another door to the den that isn' showing in the photo. The top few steps were existing, but I agree that they look a bit odd bc they aren't the same height. Our plan - ultimately - is to screen the porch. Next stop is the retaining wall. I'm starting a new thread for it.

• reyesuela
    11 years ago

The patio has a step where the lower door is. And unless your siding is sideways, the patio has a big slope left to right. (It's one board, not 2 like I thought.) Still not to code. And the patio is supposed to slope away from the house, not along the house.

• ls8989
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Reyesuela, Your comments have me worried now. When I get up in the morning I'm going to take my long level out there. The patio is supposed to be sloping away from the house - NOT along the house. Maybe I should run the hose on the patio?

• reyesuela
    11 years ago

Well, you can stand in the yard and look and see the siding. See how more siding is revealed as it goes to the left. Either the siding and the doors are placed out of level or the patio is....

Try the level. Line it up to the threshold of the door, too. Something's not level, though from the pics, I can't say for sue whether it's the house or the porch.