Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Simple Landscaping for new house

Posted by kellycrash Massachusetts (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 9:52

We purchased a new home last fall and we have absolutely no landscaping! I am look for some very basic/simple ideas for shrubs to plant in front of the house. I'd like to get started with something and perhaps add to it later on.

I am thinking some basic boxwoods, then some type of ornamental grass and then perennials.

The problem is I am not familiar with what grows well in central Massachusetts. Also pretty dumb when it comes to plant names/types and how they grow & what is suitable. Ideas welcome. Thank you!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Simple Landscaping for new house

I forgot to add the house is West facing.

o

• Posted by KraB none (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 10:56

boxwood and karl forester grass. boring.

o

I don't really like the looks of that karl forester grass from what I'm seeing online. Will have to check it out in person. Sorry if you think my ideas are boring. I'm open to suggestions. I'm looking for something simple/clean & not very expensive to get me started.

What about fire grass?

o

I think the best place for you to get ideas is likely your local nursery, where they will only have plants that do grow well in your area, and where you can study plant tags and ask questions (at least, if go to a real nursery you can ask questions, not so much at the big boxes).

You are really asking a plant selection question, not so much layout and land use, which might be more the issues that fit with landscaping. We are more likely to discuss, for example, the best width/design/location for your walkway and landing pad than we are to suggest plants to accompany one that has already been laid.

KarinL

o

• Posted by laag z6CapeCod (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 12:04

I agree with Karin. Start at your local nursery. They know what works in your area and they sellplants by giving good advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here