Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Reccomendations for Perrenials for Raised Beds in Front of H

Posted by DBNH77 5b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 9:56

I know practically nothing about gardening, horiticulture and landscaping but I have some raised beds made out of pavers in the front of my Colonial style home that are barren and unsightly.

The previous owner had large bushes there which we removed because the beds are fairly narrow. From the front of the house to the inside of the front wall of the bed is roughly about three feet. I believe that this is not enough room to plant even small shrubs/bushes so rather than extend the beds (don't have the time or patience for this project at the moment) we've decided to plant perennials in the beds.

We live in southern NH. We'd like recommendations on some perennials that will provide flowering from early/mid spring through early/mid fall if possible. We'd also like a variety of color so that it creates a curb appeal affect. We also don't want very high maintenance plants or something that will grow over 2-3 feet and obstruct the windows in the front of the house.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Reccomendations for Perrenials for Raised Beds in Front

Most perennials die back over the winter. So they won't look much different from what is currently there about half the year. There are evergreen groundcovers.

What I would suggest is to offer the pavers on Craigslist. Then plant shrubs in front of the current beds. For color, annuals can be planted in front of the shrubs, though they aren't usually described as low maintenance.

o
RE: Need Reccomendations for Perrenials for Raised Beds in Front

How tall are the walls of the beds? I'd go to your nursery and spend some time looking at plants - colors you like and look for some colorful ones that tumble over a rock wall, like rock cress or alyssum or creeping phlox (or all of them if they are hardy in your zone).

What will work will depend on your sun exposure, too, but the nursery can help. Mix in some heaths/heathers, maybe some ground cover junipers and some interesting grasses. Ask at the nursery for some recommendations of a few low shrubs that will look good in the winter. In the fall, plant some spring flowering bulbs that will come up before everything else is ready to bloom. Vary the colors and textures and you could have a pretty little flower bed without much maintenance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here