Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamibeep

alternatives to pea gravel?

tamibeep
18 years ago

Hey y'all!

I need some suggestions. I'm getting ready to do some landscaping to the back side of our house, and was planning to put in a row of azaleas. The house is made of brick and it's kind of stark-looking back there now. I had originally been planning to trench out about 2' for a small walkway (so they weren't right up against the house and we could get back there if we needed to) and do a pea gravel path, and then put in 5' of azalea bed in front of that and fill it with mulch with some kind of edging in between.

We're doing this for two reasons - one, that are is a hotbed for weeds, and two, it looks kind of dumpy with just the brick wall sitting there surrounded by dirt (and weeds). We bought this house after it had been let go to rack and ruin, so we're trying to slowly bring it back.

After reading some reviews on here, I am having second thoughts about the pea gravel. It seems that the pea gravel gets no love from those who have tried it. So my question is, what would be a better option for providing a surface for that buffer area against the house? Should I just put a few pavers back there behind the azaleas and mulch around them? Or is there a better inexpensive way to make a bumper around the house?

Thanks muchly! I can't tell you how much I have learned from this forum.

Comments (4)