Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Patio Ideas - tying in to slightly elevated covered patio

Posted by mjwkr Michigan (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 10:06

Cross-post from home forum:

Hello, first time posting in this forum. Spent a lot of time posting/lurking in the homebuilding forum on GW. We moved into our new home in November (in MI). Now that we are thawing out we are starting to see the projects lining up outside. Our home is on 2.5 acres and has a wonderful wooded back yard. We designed the house to have wonderful views from the great room, through the covered patio so we were really trying to avoid putting up any railings on the patio. However, the patio is probably 24" at its lowest point and 40+" at its highest point above the finished grade. We are trying to figure out what to do. We would like to have a ground level, uncovered patio area incorporated and have some steps added to come down from the covered area. We were thinking about doing some elevated planters around the covered porch area that would "guide" guests to the stair case. Again, this would be to avoid putting up a railing. My concern is if people cannot clearly see where the stairs are they may step off the patio in the wrong spot. here is a picture of the rear of the house and patio in question. I am looking for some ideas/tips.

photo photo11.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Patio Ideas - tying in to slightly elevated covered patio

So you have a safety dilemma, right?

Could you put up some vertical posts with maybe lanterns to give someone going down the steps something to balance themselves?

We installed steps with no railings at our previous home. I was sorry about the lack of railings when one of my friends (bad knees) needed my help to go up and down. It never occurred to me that this would be a problem. I helped her for the week of her visit but what if she had fallen?

Your project sounds really nice. Wish we could see the view!

Suzi

o

Desertdance,

Safety is a definite part of the problem. I am trying to come up with a way to provide clarity to guests on the patio as to where the stairs are located in addition to trying to come up with something that is an aesthetically attractive link between the upper covered patio and the lower ground level patio.

o

IBC , which applies to all areas in the country requires a railing when the drop off is 30 inches or more. Railing height must be 42 inches.

you can use raised planters to bring the grade up to meet code requirements. we will often incorporate a low wall ( seating height) into the planter for a finished look.

o

This is a general concept only. Part of making it successful would be adequate front-to-back depth of the planter. At the right side, I'm suggesting a rail between the post and house wall, if the planter doesn't extend that far. You might consider extending the planter back to the house and filling in that niche area between deck and bump-out and eliminating the need for the rail. If wide steps are flanked with cheekwalls their location will be obvious from a distance ... and they will look better. (I'm not suggesting the color red.)

o

Yardvaark,

Thanks for the mock up. That is pretty similar to what I was thinking in my head but couldn't quite visualize it. Thanks a lot!

o

You need to convert it to plan view and work out the details, including how it interfaces with bump-out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here