Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Front yard Walkway help w/ perennials

Posted by dinosaur1 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 4, 10 at 10:06

Link to a picture:
http://picasaweb.google.com/pewaukeedp/FrontYard#

We have a crabapple tree along with some 3 hostas around the tree that haven't come up yet. On the left side of that in between the rocks we have Goldflame Spirea. The Spirea are nice, but we wanted to move them somewhere else. What else can we put in their place that would look great? In the summer we also place some yellow and orange Marigolds close to the rocks on our walkway.

Btw, I click on "Check here if you would like copies of follow-ups to your message emailed to you."......
but I never get e-mail replies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Front yard Walkway help w/ perennials

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 4, 10 at 23:09

Try putting your link in the Optional Link URL slot that comes up below the Message box when you post.

o

This time your thread does show you as getting email replies. Previous threads didn't, so let's hope that this time you do.

I'm going to be difficult on this topic again and ask for a picture showing the bed in context. It seems to be a foundation bed, and a foundation bed usually has a design purpose - grounding the house, making a welcoming entry, sometimes concealing or disguising undesirable features. Or just a place to garden more.

Personally, as I've said too often if you've read other threads around here, I find foundation planting is often done for no reason at all and could be replaced to better effect with beds elsewhere in the yard. Beds you can get to from both sides are easier to take care of too. Plus you can use bigger plants without worrying about airspace.

You're probably not about to remove the foundation bed though, so if you give us a better overview of the bed perhaps someone will have some ideas about shape or style of plants that will look good. You may have noticed that we don't often give specific plant suggestions but you can get an idea of shape or size to go for.

KarinL

o

Karinl. Here is a link to the picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Walkway

o

What if I go with flower carpet roses? When can I plant them?

o

See that's the hard part with plant suggestions. I wouldn't have thought of those in a million years and yet they may be perfect for you.

You can probably plant them whenever your local nurseries have them in stock.

KarinL

o

Karinl. Based on my picture what can you recommend?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here