Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laneie

home in wny

laneie
11 years ago

We just purchased a ranch home in WNY...as usual, the front foundation planting is all evergreen such as yews.

We would like to update this space but are in need of some ideas. I was thinking a smoke bush for one thing but am unsure of what other plants would work.

thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (10)

• duluthinbloomz4
    11 years ago

Many plants would "work". A photo would help in being able to put suggestions in a context - as would the zone in WNY (western New York?) and the orientation, and how much space you're giving over to new foundation planting.

Smoke bush is nice for a specimen - can either be a small tree or large shrub depending on how you prune. The pollen can cause significant allergies for anyone so afflicted and the sap can cause a rash.

• laneie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The zone is 5 and it is western new york.
    Ive tried however to post a photo but no luck. If you have any ideas I would happy to follow your instructions. I do have a photo in the Gallery of Landscape Design on this forum.
    Thanks......

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    11 years ago

first upload photo to any photo-hosting site. Flickr is one example but there are many. While at that photo on the site, look for a link to "share." Then look for a way of obtaining "html code" (don't select the thumbnail version.) Copy that code and paste it directly into your message here. Voila! You've done it.

• laneie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the instructions on posting a photo link.
    What I would like to do is to take out the yews and put in a smoke bush under the two small windows. From there I am stuck. The zone is 5 and I am going for a more updated look.
    Thanks again...:)

Here is a link that might be useful: foundation planting

• designoline6
    11 years ago

To your situation,designing is more important.Only adding some plants can't improve your curb appeal.plants and bulding should be a combination . the trees and shrubs should match some flowers.

{{gwi:20805}}

• laneie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks...I like your idea and quite frankly, never thought of this!! thats why I posted on here. You guys are awesome!!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    11 years ago

laneie, my instructions were not for "posting a photo link." They were for embedding the photo directly into your message on this thread so that it's convenient to view. (A link often becomes cumbersome.) Here is the same thing again in pictorial form; also, it would be good if you had a photo that was large enough to make out details. The one in your link is very small...

{{gwi:18772}}

• designoline6
    11 years ago

You are welcame.I soft some straight line again.
    {{gwi:20806}}

• designoline6
    11 years ago

{{gwi:20807}}

• pbl_ge
    11 years ago

Hi Laneie,

We just moved to WNY ourselves. I'm not sure what you're used to, but I'm really having to adjust to the soil-- it's fairly alkaline with generally poor drainage (glaciers swept the region down to bedrock, which is the same reason it's very flat). You might be in better shape than we are, since we're at the bottom of a "hill," but nonetheless it might be worth seeing what grows well in your new neighborhood before you make big decisions.

It might also be important for you to make decisions about those awnings, while you're choosing plants. Will you keep those? I would choose very different plants with and without them. The big chimney to me suggests a cottage garden feel, but that's of course up to you--your preferences and what kind of maintenance you want to do.

Below is the link I've found most helpful for how to post pics and do other fun html stuff.

Welcome to the region!

Here is a link that might be useful: How do I use HTML Code to change fonts and insert stuff in posts?