Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Level backyard

Posted by ayready RI (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 10, 14 at 10:50

hi everyone, My backyard has some slope and I would like to level it up a little bit. What solutions do I have? (I am fine with the slope on the far side of the picture. But the main back yard is what I want to level. )

The higher end is the back of my house and the lower end is going to some woods.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Level backyard

I know of two ways. Build a large deck, or build a retaining wall.

My grandfather was a stone mason, and we lived on a hill. He built a solid retaining wall out of stone already in our yard to hold in his very big lawn. The lawn was flat and that wall was much higher than it appears yours would need to be.

Suzi

o

Why do you want to level the lawn? What do you want to be able to do there that the current setup doesn't allow?

It sounds like a lot of work/money for not a lot of benefit.

o

I know all we need to do is tilt our computers, but why use a photo that misleads? Why not submit a picture where the camera is held level so we can get an idea of what the slope "feels" like? Via the picture is the only way we can grasp the space.

o

Wouldn't a level yard fill with water when it rains?

o

The photo is helpful to see the general idea of what you seek to do. But a photo does not provide any of the horizontal or vertical distances needed to suggest a successful design.

The vertical drop from the grade at the house down to the wood line or property line (whichever becomes the project limit) will remain the same as before regrading. Any part of the yard made more level will concentrate the vertical drop in a smaller area making it more steep.

Having the vertical drop in a retaining wall has the advantage of not taking up any of the horizontal space of your yard and is not subject to erosion. Cost is the downside.

Where space is not at a premium, achieving the vertical drop with a sloped grade can be cheaper. Slopes are more trouble to maintain and can be subject to erosion.

Regardless of the method used, there is a savings if soil can be taken from one area to fill another area in an equal amount. That way you neither have to buy fill or have extra soil trucked away. Looking at your photo, I doubt you would want to lower the grade near the house to balance the fill needed near the tree line. A better plan might be to take soil from the high area at the rear of you photo to make the needed fill.

Unless you are willing to make detailed measurements needed to produce a scaled base map of your property, that's all the help I can offer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here