Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arnoldbird

excavating for a path

arnoldbird
13 years ago

I'm planning to install pavers and need to excavate for the base. The excavation will be 6" deep, 38" wide, 45' long. That seems like a lot of digging to do by hand, so I'm wondering what my options are for machines. The digging wouldn't be so bad if it was loose soil, but it's clay with a lot of rocks and occasionally a buried brick. The rocks are mostly small, but still would slow me down.

I'm wondering if there is a power tool that will help with the digging, or at least loosen up the ground so it's easy to dig with a shovel. Or should I think in terms of renting a bobcat (or comparable machine)? I'm seeing prices online at about $350/day including delivery. Is that typical? Is this something I can rent and use myself? I tend to be proficient with machinery, but haven't operated something like this before. Anything else I need to know?

Then again, for $350 (or less) I could probably hire a worker or two, but I really have no idea how long this dig should take. Maybe I'll time myself doing a few feet and then multiply it.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County