Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gr8heather

What can I grow under these pines?

gr8heather
11 years ago

Periwinkle? hostas? azaleas?

I live in Utah. This is a western exposure. Grass doesn't like it under these pines. It gets a few hours of afternoon sun. What would you plant?

{{gwi:21156}}

This post was edited by gr8heather on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 10:57

Comments (7)

• catkim
    11 years ago

It looks to me like you are doing a very good job of growing what might be grown in a very challenging situation. The left-leaning tree is quite a curiosity, but perhaps it provides fruit or flowers not evident in the photo. Not much likes to grow under pines. Shade and root competition will leave the earth mostly bare under natural conditions, carpeted by dry pine needles. I might attempt some ferns along the front of the house. Truly I am ignorant of your climate and what might grow there.

• gr8heather
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, the tree is a peach tree that my step father found growing wild on a mountainside 20 years ago and brought home, and I rather like it, even though it leans. It has delicious peaches :) I also have solar lanterns strung from it that come on at night, I am quite fond of my little leaning tree.

• sergeantcuff
    11 years ago

I like the leaning tree in front of your charming house. I grow several things under pines here in Maryland, but don't know how they'd do in your area. Aucuba japonica is a great evergreen shrub that can handle dry shade. The best perennials for me are variegated solomons seal (Polygonatum odoratum) and geranium macrorrhizum.

• gr8heather
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh hey, I already have some geranium macrorrhizum, but I hadn't thought to put it under the trees. Thanks for the advice :)

• Fori
    11 years ago

Darn that's cute. You have a great paint scheme.

I wonder if you could do large rectangular planters under the windows on each side, slightly elevated so as to not squish the tree roots.

I have no idea what you would put in them, though. But you could paint them so they'd look nice in the winter. :)

• sandyl
    10 years ago

Wow look at all them pine needles in the guter:(

• duluthinbloomz4
    10 years ago

I grow quite a few things under tall old spruce.

Hostas, ferns, bleeding heart, Northern Lights azaleas, ninebark. Nothing that holds its leaves, for sure, but the ninebarks are at the interesting multi colored shreddy bark stage - which to me is just as good. Largely, winter interest under 5 or 6 feet of snow here is a non starter.

I (or someone) would have to get on a ladder and clear out those gutters - pines definitely do litter. But the needles are useful spread around garden beds like mulch.