Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bgaviator

I'm not good at this design thing...need help

bgaviator
10 years ago

I really could use some help. I am not sure what to do with this space to make it look nice. I started this area last year...it was just a weed bed before I started working with it.

I will tell you what I currently have going in it right now....and I also must state that this is my in-law's house, and that they really don't have an interest in gardening...and they won't really take the time to keep things in check....so with that being said, I always try to keep "relatively maintenance free" in mind when choosing what to do. This is really my project for the time being, but I may not always be around to take care of "their" garden.

In the back you can see I have three pygmy crimson barberry shrubs. I think I spaced them out ok....I think they get maybe about 3ft wide? There will still be some space in between them when they are fully grown I think....they seem to be growing slowly.

In the back left/right corners I have a smaller variety of butterfly bush.

In front of each barberry shrub I have May Night Salvia.

You can see my lambs ear plants on the left and right side.....I really don't like them....they are too aggressive in their growth, and I'm just afraid they will get out of control if someone isn't always there to keep them in check.

In front of the lambs ear I have some type of coreopsis plants.....I am not really too fond of them either.

I would really like to rip out the lambs ear.....my idea is also to line the front this year with Annuals....maybe Geraniums or Dragon Wing Begonias.....This area is full sun, and will get blazing hot in the afternoon.

If this was your garden, and keeping my certain requirements for low maintenance and a full sun area in mind...what would YOU do with this space? I just feel I really suck at this gardening thing....I am not good at visualizing how things will look....and going to a garden center and seeing just how many things there are to choose from is overwhelming sometimes. Thanks!

Comments (4)