Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Existing garden: Save or start over?

Posted by jesrush 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 12:09

We bought our first house a year ago and the previous owners had planted various perennials around a tree in the center of the backyard (picture below!). Their plant selection was not ideal, because virtually all of it blooms in spring -- and very little blooms in summer/fall.

We want to add summer/fall color (daylilies, etc.). We're torn between two choices:

1) Carve out some space and just drop the new plants into the existing mix.

2) Remove the existing plants, build a raised bed, and basically start from scratch.

Your thoughts??? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Existing garden: Save or start over?

Save some.daylilies or other flower aren't enough.they are not evergreen.you should add other colour,shrub.
Photobucket

o
RE:2 Existing garden: Save or start over?

Photobucket

o
RE: Existing garden: Save or start over?

There are several reasons why adding a raised bed around an existing tree can be bad for the tree.

First, soil touching the trunk can lead to the trunk decaying. (This is why you shouldn't even have mulch touching the trunk.)

Second, there can be insect problems. (Same problem with mulch touching the trunk.)

Third, if you add a lot of dirt above too large a percentage of the tree's roots, the tree can smother. A couple of inches usually wouldn't be a problem, though. And the smaller the percentage of the roots you're covering, the less likely the tree will suffer.

Many people add a raised bed under a tree because the grass is thin and they want to solve that problem by planting something else there, but there are too many roots to be able to dig there. Unfortunately, when you add soil above the existing roots, most trees will send up roots into the new soil.

===
I recently had a silver maple cut down; many, many years earlier, the Previous Owner had planted daffodils and tulips around the trunk (multiple decades, she told me). I tried to rescue the daffodils which were farthest from the trunk, but the leaves had disappeared, the dirt seemed to be solid roots, and I couldn't find the bulbs. I had the stump ground and figured the daffodils were goners.

While removing the pile of ground-up stump, I stuck the shovel into the pile temporarily, and it came up with a piece of daffodil bulb. I ended up using my hand pruning saw on 3-4" roots to free 12 1/2 tiny bulbs -- even sacrificing their roots, there was no space large enough to squeeze them out. You may have the same problem if you try to move the current plantings or add daylilies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here