Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pcthompson

fothergilla

pcthompson
12 years ago

I would really like to incorporate FOTHERGILLA into my Landscape Design. Here is my issue.

I have an Federal/Georgian style 2 story pinkish-red brick home. With windows on each side of the porch/portico. The garage bumps out on the side giving the front an L shape.

I have a Baby Blue eyes Blue Spruce on corner opposite the garage. Under the windows (3 casement, 7' wide) on the garage side of the house I am planning 3 Globe Blue Spruce to provide consistency and balance out the blue spruce on the corner.

The others plants on the front of the house will be evergreens (hollies, Arborvitae, azaleas, rhododendrons, boxwoods, etc). I am still looking.

Along the garage, which has two windows about 7 ft a apart, I was thinking of doing a mass planting of fothergilla either MT Airy or Blue Shadow. However, I am thinking this might be too much blue. The area in front of the fothergilla will have an ornamental tree and a small kidney shape bed for annuals and small perennials. This will be bordered by the a sidewalk leading up to the porch from garage,

I need something along the garage that will stay compact, not grow above the window edge, stay compact, and have visual interest through most of the year. The fothergilla seems to have that plus it is hearty and easy to propagate. Should I stay away from the fothergilla or are there more suitable Cultivars?

Comments (2)