Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
PLAGUED with GardenWeb Related Advertising Lately?

Posted by Yardvaark none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 12:12

Day before yesterday my computer added what seemed like a sizable update. Beginning yesterday (I think) I started noticing that LOTS of mini-browser windows with advertising were opening themselves while I used the Web. I'm talking 15, 20 or 30 windows of the exact same ad. Today, I bothered to notice that these windows appeared the second I clicked on a GardenWeb thread. Anyone else experiencing this annoying new feature?

I usually use GoogleChrome as a browser.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: PLAGUED with GardenWeb Related Advertising Lately?

I think that may be just you. I've been having issues with some of the ads in the right margin slowing down my computer and causing the browser to freeze. I think that healthnet ad is a bad actor.

o

Yard, I've noticed a lot this morning too...I'm using Chrome too. I'll have to try another browser and see what happens.

o

Noticed the same thing. A couple weeks ago one of the sidebar ads was crashing Firefox on me. It's stuff like this, and the total lack of spam moderation, that made me laugh when they were asking for volunteer FAQ editors. Yep, let me get right on that, iVillage.

o

If you install this very small and FREE program on your computers, you'll never be haunted by ads on any site again...

Regards,
Shax

Here is a link that might be useful: AdBlock Plus

o

• Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 22:41

It was only doing it yesterday.

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 13, 12 at 23:03

No problems on my Mac, but at work, they circumvent the rather strict spam filters on the pc, surprisingly.

o

ADBlock and firefox... no ads.

o

Thanks for the tip on adblock. I'm trying it. Says it works on Firefox and Chrome.

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 11:09

AdBlock Plus and NoScript generally take care of the annoying ads.

o

Thanks, natal. NoScript, though, seems only available for Firefox. I installed AdBlock yesterday (thanks to everyone's mention of it) and have had no trouble since with dozens of (or any!) windows opening without invitation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here