Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
front of split-level house

Posted by hgtvdream.com NJ - zone 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 12:14

Any suggestions or links for how to landscape the area in front of a split-level house, especially in front of the living room which is a half level above ground? The shrubs that were there were so overgrown that we removed them (a couple of hemlocks, another fir, and a juniper) or cut them down to stumps (a boxwood, a couple of yews), which we hope will grow back. Really, only a large Andromeda remains at the corner of the house. I guess we'd need a few larger shrubs near the house and a few smaller ones in a front row. Thx.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: front of split-level house

It's hard to know what you mean or give any advice without photo's

o

• Posted by leafy02 6 Central Kentucky (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 17, 10 at 20:39

Yes, please post photos. I have a split-level, too, and I'd be interested in seeing what you've got & making suggestions :)

o

What is the exposure? How large are the existing beds? Is there somthing that you would love or hate to see in the area? What is the color of the sideing? Do you need to amend the soil. I only ask because these are just some things to ponder. If you have an exsiting side walk to the entry then my guess is it maybe a small area and small shrubs would be the choice with the possibility of some perinnials to fill in. If not then you have the opportunity to make some fantasic beds. Even with a side walk you can use the other side of the walk as well. I would probably take out the stumps. The recovery when so severly cut will be long and slow if at all. Yes we are visual people here and love pictures. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here