Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping weeds out while getting flowers to grow

Posted by jencox IL (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 12:31

I'm wanting a mixture of plants on the side of my house. I started a couple of years ago but they haven't taken over yet...the problem is how to keep the weeds out while my flowers get established? Do I mulch? Use preen? grass killer??

Jennifer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping weeds out while getting flowers to grow

Weeding - for many, one of the more odious gardening chores. I personally don't mind weeding; find it therapeutic. How big a space are you dealing with? Biting the bullet, hand weeding it out and covering with a thick layer of mulch might be your best bet - taking care not to smother your desireable plants in the process.

Preen stops new weeds from germinating/sprouting; it will not kill existing weeds. So you have to weed first in one fashion or another every season before using Preen. Grass killers are pretty much equal opportunity killers - can't distinguish between a dandylion and a daylily.

o

Mulch and hand weed.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 14:25

Displays of annuals, bulbs and perennials require more elbow grease than established tree and shrub groupings. If interest or ability are limited, don't plant a lot of flowers. Maybe you should have some container gardens featuring flowers, near doorways and limit the yard to lawn and some shrubs.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 21, 10 at 14:35

No quick solutions, unfortunately. Weeding before they go to seed, and then heavy mulch in bare areas is the best long term remedy. When planting cleared new beds, Preen can work, but I'd also follow up with a 3 to 4 inch minimum layer of mulch. Keep on top of weeds before they set seed, and half the battle is won.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here