Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cheryleb_gw

New Yard Plan Part 2

cheryleb
9 years ago

Hi again,
I posted a few days ago with a yard plan and received some great suggestions. We have adjusted the plan to increase planting space on the side of the yard with the doors from the house by removing the deck and extending the patio so we have only one surface. The problem with this plan is that there is a ledger board on the house that runs 9' from the corner and if we have patio there, the rather unsightly board will show. We could add stone steps with a landing wide enough to cover the board but by the time we add three steps at 11" depth, we will have covered half of that side of the patio with steps which defeats the purpose of converting from deck to patio.

We could revert to the original plan of a deck that is even with the ledger board and have steps to the patio or have all patio but with a wood step off the house to the patio, paint the ledge board that is exposed and put planters on either side of the steps to add greenery and color (was estimated at $5-6K for the stone step).

This is the original thread.
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/design/msg0415451625662.html?3

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments (6)

• dani_plus_2
    9 years ago

{{gwi:22051}}

I'll retry. Just so you know I never said anything about tropical plants in the last post. I live in the North and I use Virbinum, lilacs, & burning bushes as undercut "trees". Hostas would be great for the shady spots by the fence (just choose different colors greens so it doesn't get boring). Echinachea (sp?) daylilies, catmint & Siberlian iris are all super hardy and work well mixed in the border correctly.

I took out that small bit of bed you had by the house...it does nothing and takes away your space you need for your privacy circle.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

"The problem with this plan is that there is a ledger board on the house that runs 9' from the corner and if we have patio there, the rather unsightly board will show." Take a picture and show it.

• cheryleb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again Dani. I incorporated the curve you suggested but thought you had replaced the planting area between the house and circle with pots in the first version so was thinking I would be limited by the growing season. I really like the plant placement you created.

Yardvaark, I will post a pic but it snowed yesterday and it is now too wet. Yes, snow at the end of April. The winter that just won't stop giving...

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

On another note, the circular portion of the patio seems as if it is trying to be separate, but I don't think this works. Some of my original criticisms remain.

• cheryleb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Deleted. I hadn't realized this forum had changed so much over the years.

This post was edited by cheryleb on Tue, Apr 29, 14 at 12:14

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

"The planting area by the house is almost 3' deep so if I make it any deeper, I would need to climb in to weed, etc." It should be designed for plants and overall appearance. Any resourceful person could attest to the fact that taking care of a bed that is deeper is not really a problem. There are many ways to overcome this.

That patio is developing more gimmicky looking features. I would keep it simple and am suggesting a few alterations based on your initial premise. Also, the small space next to steps seems without purpose and would be better eliminated. I think it would "feel" better if the steps were a little more spacious and were oriented toward the majority of the patio. I'm showing the two versions side-by-side to make comparison easier.

If I were on my own and starting from scratch, I think I'd eliminate the circle, too, if all it is is a paving pattern change. (Not talking about how used, but just the physical object itself.)