Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rain Garden as a drainage solution

Posted by admay 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 12:47

hello,

We have an area in our backyard which is always wet and soggy. After the snow melted this spring and some rain storms hit last week, the area is a like a swamp. There is standing water in some places and the rest is muddy and soggy. Installing a french drain system is very expensive and I would like to find a more cost-effective solution. Do you think that a rain garden would solve the issue? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rain Garden as a drainage solution

We have an area of the backyard that we call 'the wet corner'. Our property and two neighbouring ones drain into that area, so in spring (i.e. now!) it is a bog. It eventually dries out in summer but you can't walk on it at this time of year and any planting hole immediately fills up with water, although there is rarely standing water there. While not formally a 'rain garden', that area is planted with things that like - or tolerate - the conditions (it's shady too...) There are a couple of other places that are seasonally wet and I treat them the same way. Luckily none of them are areas where I would want to have a patio or seating or other functional hardscape or structures. If that is the case for you, planting is certainly the easiest option, but if the wet interferes with use, a drainage solution would be required.

o

Thank you! I was hoping to hear this answer. I am planning to select plants that tolerate these conditions and hopefully it would work. The place is shady too.

o

You said it's "always" wet and soggy - is that year 'round? I have an area that has standing water in the spring, but can also be quite dry in the summer. Some plants will tolerate one but not the other.

I've had great luck with chelone lyoni in that spot. The area is shady but not deep shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here