Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Screws for IPE Decking

Posted by fruit_tree uk (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 8, 10 at 12:55

First time on this site, so apologies for any mistakes....

I'm about to purchase everything I need for my IPE decking plans, and was shocked when I worked out I would need almost 1500 stainless steel screws, at a cost of 200, for my 30m square deck. Taking in to consideration the IPE planks are 19mm thick x 90mm wide, could I get away with just the single screw across the width, as opposed to the usual 2, thus saving me 100????
Any help would be most welcome.............Bye for now
Jon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Screws for IPE Decking

No, is the answer to the 2 screw suggestion and you need to pre drill the holes. You could use hidden fasteners but that is a lot more work and costs even more than the screws. There must be some reason why you chose this particular timber so if you want to go with it you have to use ss screws. Obviously a stained softwood would be cheaper and you could use ceramic covered deck screws (no pre drilling) but the appearance will suffer, you have to decide how important it is to use ipe.

o
RE: Screws for IPE Decking

I just wanted to chime in here on one thing. I don't know about the screws or decking but I have had a lot of experience with ipe wood. We have a very large, custom firepit seating made of ipe and about ten pieces of garden furniture made of ipe. It is as strong and wonderful as they say, but, it silvers (color) more quickly than teak and to keep the beautiful, warm brown color which I love, you need to oil it about three times a year. That is simple and so rewarding. Go for it. Spend the money and have it for many, many years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here