Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Need help with porch planting/wind control

We have been rebuilding the porch at our farmhouse. The western gable end of the house was planted with two (giant) arborvitae on either side of the chimney. These trees were planted within a few feet of the foundation and had gotten large enough to interfere with exterior wires, cause problems with the porch roof and totally block the house windows on one side of the chimney. When it became necessary to take the porch side tree down it opened up a heretofore hidden great view but OMG the wind has already taken 5 shutters off the front of the house! I hesitate to think what the additional factors will be once the second one is removed!

Now I'm faced with a quandry--I obviously need some sort of wind screen but it can't be of a height that interferes with windows and porch maintenance. To the west of this same area, about 25-30 feet out are a pin oak and green ash (@35 years old) and lawn in between to get to the rear wing of the house. (I planted a windbreak behind the house to the N and W but I never dreamed I would need to keep going along the western edge near these deciduous trees to protect the front porch!)

The other factor is that it would be awfully nice to keep the new view at the same time we figure to the best wind screen!

Any suggestions for clusters of shrubs/trees/trellis etc and how one would situate them?

Comment (1)