Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinkdaisy22

Need landscape advice for our new [very boring] yard!

pinkdaisy22
9 years ago

This is our first spring in our new home, and we really want to spruce up the spacious front yard. I've been looking at photos online for inspiration, but I'm still just very stuck on how to create an overall plan.

Our ideas so far...

- Remove the tall shrub to the right of the picture window, as well as the one on the left side of the set of 4 shrubs in front. I think we should keep the other 3 shrubs that are centered under the window, just so we're not ripping out everything at once.

- Get rid of the ugly orange flag pole!

- We'd love to have some type of patio/sitting area in front of the big window. Possibly with a pergola over it (although I'd love a full covered porch, it won't be in our budget).

I'd REALLY appreciate any help or ideas! Thanks in advance.

Comments (2)

• louisianagal
    9 years ago

I agree to remove the large shrubs that are too near the window.
    The small tree/shrub in left front yard, would probably look better if thinned out and create a small mulched area around it. If you are going to put flowers or ground cover around said shrub, then make it large enough, not a little tiny ring around it. As for the shrubs in front of the right hand window, I personally don't like what some refer to as "meatballs" for landscaping. You either have to keep them trimmed or let them go natural, which is my personal preference. Still you want them to be below the window. I like the idea of a patio or larger landing at the front entrance. Not sure exactly what would work or be in the budget. Congrats on new home!

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

When you are on a budget, umbrellas make great shade, and look like a vacation!

When we were young and had the strength and energy, we did a patio on a budget. We framed it with redwood 2 / 4 wood. We put a lot of sand it it. Laid bricks on that, swept more sand between the bricks, and we had an awesome front patio! Concrete is cheap! Even if you just get a concrete patio, and a few umbrellas, you have a great place at little cost to watch the kids play.

Big Lots or K-Mart have some pretty cheap furniture that can make your summer living EASY.......