Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anjp_gw

Landscaping ideas for upsloped back yard

anjp
10 years ago

I'm looking for some design ideas for the backyard of our small lot with an upslope hill. It's our first spring in this house and it clearly needs some landscaping. I'm located in Ontario in zone 5a/5b.

As you can see from the pictures below we have a fairly aggressive upward slope and a "lawn" that looks pretty nasty right now. The pics are frontal from the deck, then from the right, left, and side profile.

{{gwi:22719}}

{{gwi:22720}}

{{gwi:22721}}

{{gwi:22722}}

I can work all the way up to a perpendicular line intersecting the large pine tree. The land behind that is just an empty field that grows all sorts of weeds and wildflowers. The sticks standing up in that field are staghorn sumac.

I will accept ANY & ALL ideas! My initial thoughts are to raise another railway tie retaining wall above the existing one, and have two terraced garden beds on the left side. Immediately next to them on the right I would build some steps for walking up and down. To the right of that, dig a semi-circle INTO the hill and line it with brick for a lazy fireplace/firepit. And line the top with some sort of bushes or shrubs. Perhaps liilacs for look and privacy? Hmm... perhaps this would be easier if I drew it.

Here's a sketch. Apologies for the lack of talent: {{gwi:22723}}

Like I said, just an initial thought. I am comfortable building retaining walls and providing appropriate drainage. I have a long way to go to make this back yard look like nature didn't just vomit it up :) Thanks

Comments (4)