Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landscaping ideas for upsloped back yard

Posted by anjp 5a/5b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 14 at 13:35

I'm looking for some design ideas for the backyard of our small lot with an upslope hill. It's our first spring in this house and it clearly needs some landscaping. I'm located in Ontario in zone 5a/5b.

As you can see from the pictures below we have a fairly aggressive upward slope and a "lawn" that looks pretty nasty right now. The pics are frontal from the deck, then from the right, left, and side profile.

1-main photo IMG_0198.jpg

2-right photo IMG_0196.jpg

4-left photo IMG_0199.jpg

4-profile photo IMG_0200.jpg

I can work all the way up to a perpendicular line intersecting the large pine tree. The land behind that is just an empty field that grows all sorts of weeds and wildflowers. The sticks standing up in that field are staghorn sumac.

I will accept ANY & ALL ideas! My initial thoughts are to raise another railway tie retaining wall above the existing one, and have two terraced garden beds on the left side. Immediately next to them on the right I would build some steps for walking up and down. To the right of that, dig a semi-circle INTO the hill and line it with brick for a lazy fireplace/firepit. And line the top with some sort of bushes or shrubs. Perhaps liilacs for look and privacy? Hmm... perhaps this would be easier if I drew it.

Here's a sketch. Apologies for the lack of talent: 6-sketch photo IMG_0203.jpg

Like I said, just an initial thought. I am comfortable building retaining walls and providing appropriate drainage. I have a long way to go to make this back yard look like nature didn't just vomit it up :) Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landscaping ideas for upsloped back yard

We are on a hillside also, but our home is at the top. Previous owners have built block wall and railroad tie terraces.

The tie terraces have 3 or 4 ties stacked horizontally, and secured with rebar. Higher terraces have railroad ties stacked vertically, again secured with rebar.

The block wall terraces are concreted in. Because our hill drains down, and not to the house, drainage is not a concern like it will be for you.

We have a variety of steps here. Some are poured concrete, others railroad ties, others are brick.

I like your plan! It's hard for a Southern California girl to recommend plants, but a previous owner planted cascading rosemary and it looks pretty falling over the retaining walls. Surely you have something similar in your zone to get that look?

I love the fire pit idea. That's on our list too!

Suzi

o

What about building a retaining wall out of pavers. You can do a 2 tier walls and plant trees and flowers in there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Long Island Landscaping Company

o

• Posted by anjp 5a/5b (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 16:54

Yeah definitely a retaining wall. I've just finished digging it out now. The picture is a little old but it's all dug out and now I'm just sourcing some materials to make the wall itself. I'll get some pea gravel and perf piping in there to help with water drainage to the sides.

photo IMG_0209.jpg

o

I liked the terraced idea but I noticed something. Your first retaining wall is not retaining anything and the ground continues the slop that was present. Picture number for shows what I mean. I think it would be better if the new retaining wall becomes the only retaining wall. Stack the stones in front of it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here