Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oksir83

Where to Start w/ New Construction on Half Acre

oksir83
11 years ago

My wife and I are about to close on our home in Northern AL. Most places I have found this online put us in Zone 7. We pretty much have a blank canvas now, with the exception of shrubbery in our beds and a couple trees that the builder added in the front yard. I like the trees in the front yard, but not sure if I am happy with their placement, especially the one on the right side of the lot. I think I'd like to shift this further to the right. The home faces NW and at some point the entire backyard will be fenced in along the perimeter with a shadowbox fence. Our main goal for the landscaping will be curb appeal in the front and some privacy and shade in the backyard.

For the front yard I was thinking of maybe replacing the tree on the right with something like a Dynamite Crape Myrtle, but am very open to suggestions as this is all pretty new to us. In the backyard, my wife will also have a small vegetable garden, so I don't want too much shade that it hinders that growth. We also do plan to eventually build a patio increase our outdoor living area. I guess for now I would prefer to just focus on tree placement as right now the lot is extremely bare. It seems like all the homes in the neighborhood are receiving similar landscaping and tree placement, so I'd like to set ours apart just a bit. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

{{gwi:22731}}

{{gwi:22732}}

Comments (5)