Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oksir83

Where to Start w/ New Construction on Half Acre

oksir83
11 years ago

My wife and I are about to close on our home in Northern AL. Most places I have found this online put us in Zone 7. We pretty much have a blank canvas now, with the exception of shrubbery in our beds and a couple trees that the builder added in the front yard. I like the trees in the front yard, but not sure if I am happy with their placement, especially the one on the right side of the lot. I think I'd like to shift this further to the right. The home faces NW and at some point the entire backyard will be fenced in along the perimeter with a shadowbox fence. Our main goal for the landscaping will be curb appeal in the front and some privacy and shade in the backyard.

For the front yard I was thinking of maybe replacing the tree on the right with something like a Dynamite Crape Myrtle, but am very open to suggestions as this is all pretty new to us. In the backyard, my wife will also have a small vegetable garden, so I don't want too much shade that it hinders that growth. We also do plan to eventually build a patio increase our outdoor living area. I guess for now I would prefer to just focus on tree placement as right now the lot is extremely bare. It seems like all the homes in the neighborhood are receiving similar landscaping and tree placement, so I'd like to set ours apart just a bit. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

{{gwi:22731}}

{{gwi:22732}}

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    11 years ago

It looks like the right tree is planted straight out from the front door. I'd move it farther right. I'd also move the left tree farther left from where it is shown on the plan. I'd keep these as major shade/street trees capable of contributing to a tree-lined street and framing the view of your house with a high canopy. You could find better (smaller) places for the crape myrtle(s.) Investigate the purpose of the "15' side yard easement" to determine what/how much can be plant there.

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 9:11

• oksir83
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, that is actually what we were planning on doing with the Maples now that we had time to think it over. Does anyone think we will have any issues with transplanting those Maples after they have been in the ground for about a month? Honestly, I have never dug up and transplanted a tree before...

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

The sooner you do it, the better. Dig so that the original root ball stays in tact. If you're lucky, it will have the original burlap and/or wire basket in place. Dig a trench around it and be prepared to use burlap (or some kind of fabric) around the root ball to keep it together. Have the new planting location dug before digging up the tree. Use a fabric sling to transport it to the new hole. No bumpy ride or the root ball will fall apart. Water well after re-installing and then give water every couple of days until you see new growth beginning.

• oksir83
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great, thanks for the tips!

• lafleurs1
    10 years ago

Yes do figure out that 15 ft. side yard easement. It could be nothing or a source of annoyance for many years to come. It is such a narrow strip along the house, you should see if your neighbor has the same easement and see what can be planted there. Sometimes the easements are for utilities going in behind you or gas lines. I do not see above ground power lines.

Don't dig in the ground where there are utility lines, you have to call your power company to have it marked for you.

Such a pretty new home. Get as much free advice from your local tree nurseries, sometime will exchange the cost of a landscaping plan for reimbursements on plants. Get your back yard trees located in the next couple years. The time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, and you want them placed properly and your back yard divided up so the vegetable garden is placed right and looks good.