Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I stain new cedar fence?

Posted by jm30 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 13:41

I just had a beautiful 7' cedar fence built along one side of the house to provide privacy and a backdrop for landscaping along that side. The neighbors side of the fence get's zero sun, my side gets sun from about 11:00 to 5:00. I've been debating whether to stain, and if so, what opacity and color. My house is cedar shiplap siding, stained a solid dark brown. I've decided I don't want to use a solid or semi-solid on the fence, I don't want to immediately cover up the beautiful wood. I can't find a tinted transparent color that goes well with the house, so basically I'm down to a natural transparent stain. I read that natural transparent has almost no UV protection, and since cedar is very rot resistant, am I wasting my money by putting this on? If it's going to naturally gray with the natural stain, why even bother? I'm hoping someone has some personal experience with transparent stain on cedar, does it even slow down the graying?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I stain new cedar fence?

From what I've read on the deck forum, a clear finish will not slow down graying. I have cedar fence around my house. I let it gray. Every 3 or 4 years I gently pressure wash it. If you are not careful, pressure washing will remove the soft parts of the wood.

If you do decide on a stain, then be prepared to renew it every other year. Too much work, IMHO.

o

Great thoughts. I think I will refrain from staining after reading this.

o

Yes you should stain your fence. Also a transparent satin will not last as long as a semi-transparent like we used. Check out our YouTube video of us staining the fence we built. One year later and the fence still look great!

See the video link below......

Here is a link that might be useful: How we Stained our New Cedar Wood Fence

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here